What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-8 Training ?

You'll be hard pressed to find anyone doing dual in an 8. Can't put brakes in the back, very few have rudders, insurance is outrageous.

Best bet is to do a combination or RV-6/7 and a citabria or decathlon.

I did my transistion training in an RV-7 and my insurance company accepted it with a little persuasion. When I soloed my -8 I felt comfortable with the experience I had gained from the -7, flying charactoristics were exact with the exception of the landing which I wheel landed.

Most -8's don't have the rear rudder pedal option (mine included), which in my opinion is the most important part of the transistion needed with any tail wheel aircraft.

Last edited:
8 training

Hard to find training in an -8. I did my transition training in a -6, and the insurance folks were happy with that. I did get some stick time in the back seat in an -8 (with rear seat rudder pedals) before I flew mine for the first time. I did not get to land it, but several approaches with go arounds from 50' or so and watching the fellow make several landings helped with the sight picture.

Yes, you all seem correct. I guess I'll rephrase my question.
Is there anyone in or near WI doing training in an RV 6, 7 or 8 taildragger?
Thanks for the replies!

Yes, you all seem correct. I guess I'll rephrase my question.
Is there anyone in or near WI doing training in an RV 6, 7 or 8 taildragger?
Thanks for the replies!

You're in Poysippi, eh? (Man, I am from Wisconsin, and I had to look that one up! :) )

Can you get to the Minneapolis area, or is that too far? Tom Berge does transition training there. (He will also come to you, for a fee. He did our training in South Texas!)

Get some dual in a 6, you will be amazed how friendly the 8 is after that.

I had about 3 hours of dual to go in the 6 for insurance and decided I'd had enough of that and launched the 8 without the insurance. After the first flight the insurance company agreed to let me fly off the remaining dual in the 8.

I try not to sweat the small stuff, 48 hours later with 120 landings, it's going well. I love flying the 8, so will you. :)

Back