What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

So Whuddja Buy at Oshkosh 2014?

jjhoneck

Well Known Member
Mary and I were looking for a 406 MHZ ELT, but ended up buying a 406 MHZ Personal Locator Beacon instead. We also picked up a second O2 tank, to make keeping ourselves oxygenated easier.

We also purchased the usual stickers, patches, and pins. We've got 32 years of them, and can't stop now! We'd have bought more airplane stuff, but after installing the panel in February, and buying a car in July, we were just about tapped out.

Oh, and we got this great photo, too, courtesy of AOPA. What did y'all buy? :)

1407545863.jpg

I picked up Bob Hoover's book and took pictures of him and my son's while he signed it. I remember watching him fly his engine out routine in the early 80's as a kid and it was cool to introduce my son's to a legend. We bumped into Bud Anderson earlier too. Gotta love Oshkosh.

I picked up Bob Hoover's book and took pictures of him and my son's while he signed it. I remember watching him fly his engine out routine in the early 80's as a kid and it was cool to introduce my son's to a legend. We bumped into Bud Anderson earlier too. Gotta love Oshkosh.

Cool! I've got pix of my kids getting their hats signed by Bob, back in the mid-to-late 90s. He's a real gentleman, and we are blessed to still have him (and Bud) with us.

I think I got a real buy on "Avenging Strike," a print of Doolittle's B-25 taking off from the carrier. It was long since sold out and was signed by 9 of the crew members of various B-25 Raider crews. $108 (one on ebay right now is higher than that.) Got it from Virginia Bader, and yes, she is cousin to Sir Douglas Bader of RAF fame. Love my WWII aviation art!

Bob

I think I got a real buy on "Avenging Strike," a print of Doolittle's B-25 taking off from the carrier. It was long since sold out and was signed by 9 of the crew members of various B-25 Raider crews. $108 (one on ebay right now is higher than that.) Got it from Virginia Bader, and yes, she is cousin to Sir Douglas Bader of RAF fame. Love my WWII aviation art!

Bob

Wow -- that IS a steal! Good job!

Purchase

Adel clamps.
Free stuff...six Jep caps, four Ford caps (one signed by Jack Roush), signed pictures with Edsel Ford, Sean Tucker, Aeroshell team. Several photos with the same.

Assorted stainless hardware for my RV, database updates for my portable GPS units, and several Oshkosh caps for myself and friends, and a set of 4 tall Oshkosh shot glasses.

I bought "Return to VFR flying by King Schools and saved 25%.(Ive got some brushing up to do since I will have a real cross country airplane soon) I also bought a pair of the really small folding chairs for the RV when it is finished. And I bought some tools and scotch bright wheels from the tool venders.

Got my usual assortment of "consumable" hardware at B&B - elastic stop nuts, cotter pins, electrical crimps, etc. Got our RV-6's transponder updated for free at the Garmin booth. A bottle of Mouse Milk and a pneumatic pop-riveter at Avery. A new airplane kit. A couple of shirts from Stein....the usual stuff.... ;)

Say that again...

Got my usual assortment of "consumable" hardware at B&B - elastic stop nuts, cotter pins, electrical crimps, etc. Got our RV-6's transponder updated for free at the Garmin booth. A bottle of Mouse Milk and a pneumatic pop-riveter at Avery. A new airplane kit. A couple of shirts from Stein....the usual stuff.... ;)

Sly dog. I see what you did. You'll spill sooner or later. :D

I bought a Vans ballcap, an RV-8A tshirt, a RV-8 canopy half-open latch (Zeller), some other little stuff for an RV-8... Now I just need to pull the trigger and actually get the aircraft kit from my friend hah.

Also got a couple things for the Cherokee I am flying now (a few external LED lights) and the requisite OSH paraphernalia (coffee mugs, tshirts, etc).

I'm guessing a RV-12 or should we start looking for you on another forum?

I'm gonna guess that since they now live out west near mountains, some kind of STOL bushplane, perhaps a Zenith CH-750? They've already got a hangar full of go-fast RVs, and the CH-750 is built using pulled rivets.

I'm gonna guess that since they now live out west near mountains, some kind of STOL bushplane, perhaps a Zenith CH-750? They've already got a hangar full of go-fast RVs, and the CH-750 is built using pulled rivets.

Well yes, we're seriously shopping for a Bush Plane kit - but while we continue to shop, we found a little niche airplane that also fits in with our new location just across the hill from Minden - soaring Mecca of the west. Although not on the list of "high performance" sailplanes, the Xenos is a motorglider that will fit in our hangar and on our airpark taxiways, and yup - it is all pulled rivets. As someone said - we've got three go-fast (and far) RV's in the hangar already. Time for something completely different, and the RV-11 isn't ready yet.... ;)

We picked up a couple of Jepp hats and a couple of Ford hats. Lisa went on a mission to collect freebie, much of which I'll take to the EAA chapter meeting Monday night for whoever wants it.

I picked up a tailwheel link and control arm from Flyboy Accessories, along with a couple of carbon fiber bun warmers for the seats. A couple of shirts from Van's and one from Flyboy. A nifty little tool to make hose clamps with safety wire. And we bought a couple of kids' books signed by Kermit Weeks for the grandkids, and a set of J3 pedal plane plans.

Oshkosh Purchases 2014

This was my first trip to Oshkosh, I mentioned it to the lady at the car rental at Milwaukee Airport - she replied, oh well, we'll see you next year!
Unbelievable event from all the kitplane vendors to the Airshow to the Engine manufacturers to the forums to the flea market to the museum, all wonderful and of course the one week wonder - 140WW has my name on it, hope they don't paint over it.

I began to wish I had brought a much larger suitcase and anyhow filled the one I had with a new tailwheel, tailwheel spring, oilfield filter cutter, Bose headset (and with the free speakers, baseball hat etc), new CHT sensor from Aircraft Spruce-so helpful, T shirts, brochures, luckily suitcase not check weighed at the airport on the way home.
Everybody I met was friendly without exception, especially at the Vans social but also the owners I met in the parking area and the folks I lunched with, including a couple from Kentucky who replied when I asked "Did you fly to Oshkosh this year?" "Sure, but we were kinda tight on time and the weather was iffy so we flew the Citation into Fond du Lac otherwise we'd have bought the L39.........! Marvellous. The Lady at the airport was sooo right.

Let's see - high temp locknuts from B&B (FWF), an EAA hat, 27 yrs of the RVAtor on disc, Stein t-shirt, G3X t-shirt and updated my GTX23, RV Social, Vans Banquet, and saw every single RV parked in the north 40 over Sunday, Monday and Tuesday. The RV search for the taildragger 7 was the real mission and looking at intersection fairings, wheel pants, baffle fittings, and particular attention to SJ cowls. Great talking to the few RV'ers I met out there.

It was a full 2.5 days, then back home. I am going to have to find out where all the RV builders hang out, the little time at the social did not allow much discussion. Maybe next year, when I am a HBC virgin. :D

Between projects so no buying, but acquiring...Three Shell cow posters, a free oxygen refill from Mountain Air (even though the tank was labeled Precise Flight - thanks guys), Stein T-shirt, lots of hands-on knowledge at Garmin du jour and the weedeater kitplane manufacturers, and an airplane kit - the balsa glider handed out by Bendix/King. Oh, I did buy something (besides food)! Extended my Aviation Consumer subscription.

Anyone else discover the free lunch at Hartzell before they got wind that the gate was down?

John Siebold

Between projects so no buying, but acquiring...Three Shell cow posters, a free oxygen refill from Mountain Air (even though the tank was labeled Precise Flight - thanks guys)

Interesting. The guys at the Aerox booth were also filling competitor's bottles. A nice touch.

We bought another Aerox bottle, so we got both of ours filled. Cost: $0.00. Nice.

Oshkosh purchases

Stuff I bought,,,,,at Oshkosh 2014

16 cases of oil, airplane wax, windshield polish.

Stuff I bought

I traded my Garmin 296 for a 496including Sirius antennae for $500 at Gulf Coast. Thn got a Sirius subscript for the ride home, worked great. I also bought a Bad Elf Pro, so I could use my mini IPad for back up, I Velcro'd it to my knew pad. I also bought a new pair of sunglasses for $200. Ended up with a trick or treat bag of stuff. Best free stuff was crashing the VIP lounge at Cirrus everyday, for a soda, cookies and eye candy. Also, bud light koozies, , shirts, hats and sunglasses at Kelli's beer garden near the university.More eye candy.

CW

Two, great big, itty bitty batteries, lightweight tail wheel from Vince, nuts, bolts, T Shirt, foam liners for tool box, and a PSEngineering PMA 450 Audio Panel. Oh, and an aerobatic harness from Hooker.

Jerry, I was looking closely at that pma 450. Would you give a product report on it when you get a chance to use it? (edit: just saw brantel's great post on the PMA450)

Oh, I brought back a bunch of metal stuff that my friends who flew commercial didn't want to take through security. I also got a 430W update from jepp when I realized my subscription ended just short of fond du lac... D'oooooohhhhh

Last edited:
Jeez, I need to get some dual on "freebie" acquisitions! Some of you guys have it down!

Garmin heated pitot, 2 transfer pumps (WITH check valves this time..:mad:), NPT fittings, rivet shaver, Scotchbrites, Andair fuel caps, Motopod for the RV-10, XT225 motorcycle conversion, shirts for me and my daughter, Amelia, one-sies for my new boy, Robert, who is 7 weeks old, and one really nice gold and diamond necklace for my wife, since she's puts up with it all.;)

Jerry, I was looking closely at that pma 450. Would you give a product report on it when you get a chance to use it? (edit: just saw brantel's great post on the PMA450)

I'll be glad to report if I ever get it. Just talked to Pacific Coast and they dropped the ball and ordered the wrong unit for me, even though we talked very specifically about what I wanted, got Mark and Dewey involved and had it all settled before I left.

I'll be waiting with baited breath.. so they say.

Well it was a "Oshkosh Special"

Usually put aside a few hundred bucks for a goodie from my "Osh" trip but this year I just didn't need anything. :( So instead I took advantage of the new aluminum spinners Allan is making at Cummings Spinners for the Sensenich FP props. Just came today and it's much better than I expected. Super smooth turning and even has a small flange on the cut outs. Very, very pleased.:)

Back