What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

GMU 11 mounting

Hi all whats the best location to mount a GMU 11 in a RV6 slider with vernier trim?
pictures would be great! This is a flying aircraft not in the project state

Don't have pictures, but I mounted mine on the aft deck just in front of the vertical and horizontal stabilizer. It's mounted transversely with the mounting flange up against the aft bulkhead. There's just enough room for the mounting screws beside the lightening holes on the aft deck. GMU 11 can be mounted in d-sub fwd, d-sub aft, or d-sub to the left or right, but must be calibrated in whatever position you choose.

I have an RV 7 and thats where eI put mine just where Terry said.
The other acceptable option is in the wing tip.

I believe in the Garmin G3X Install manual it lists best locations for the GMU 11.

Appendix B form the manual;
B.2 Van’sAircraft
B.2.1 RV-7/9
The typical GMU magnetometer mounting location in RV-7/9 aircraft is in the aft fuselage, on the aft deck (F-714), just ahead of the horizontal stabilizer and just aft of the F-709 bulkhead. This location provides a level pitch and roll reference, and acceptable separation from excessive magnetic disturbances in typical RV-7/9 aircraft.
The wingtip can be used as an alternate GMU magnetometer mounting location for RV aircraft. Ensure adequate separation from steel aileron counterweights, transmitting antennas, and lighting fixtures, and follow the wingtip light wiring guidance for in Section 15.4 or Section 16.4.

Last edited:
RV-7 - I'm not flying yet but I'm also mounting the GMU 11 on the aft deck. The unit is straddling the right lightning hole. The connector comes up through the left lightning hole. All stainless hardware of course.

Attachments

• gmu11.jpg
    gmu11.jpg
    125.1 KB · Views: 521
I mounted mine aft as others have but was also concerned about my manual trim since it is quite unusual these days. I asked Steinair about their experience and they said they had done several here with manual trim and had no problems. Sure enough mine calibrated just fine. No pictures but it is similar to Mike’s above the right lightening hole with the trim cable coming up through the left. Don’t forget to plan for the connector which is nearly as big as the unit itself!

Garmin recommends the location specified by others for RVs. Type certified planes (e.g. Piper), they want it in a wing due to all the ferrous metal in the fuselage.

I too mounted mine on the aft deck in my -6A but it is underneath using spacers and longer screws to “hang” from the deck. It’s on C/L with connector forward. I was think it might be better protected from weather given the empannage fairing is all that covers this area. Two + years and going strong.

4+ years

My GMU-11 has been mounted and flying on the rear deck for 4+ years. Would need to look in the logbook to know exactly how long.

2020-07-04 10.16.22.2170.jpg

2020-07-04 10.15.48.3530.jpg

2020-07-04 10.16.02.5730.jpg

No interference with the manual trim cable and calibrated well.

I mounted mine using a bracket similar to mfleming. I made my own bracket, but Stein sells one. I turned mine so the connector on the GMU 11 is sticking through the bulkhead lightening hole. That way I didn't have to drill another hole to route the cabling.

Attachments

• GMU-11_intstall_2.jpg
    GMU-11_intstall_2.jpg
    236.8 KB · Views: 585
Last edited:
I mounted mine during the build stage. I used the "new" bracket Van's has to mount it on the bulkhead just aft of the baggage compartment bulkhead. You could also use that bracket to mount it in a flying airplane.

Back