What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

AOPA mag article on RV-12

AeroDog

Well Known Member
Friend
Just read Dave Hirschman's writeup on the RV-12 wherein he says he got 135 KTAS cruise on a ferry flight in a 912ULS-powered machine. Is this a typo?

Jerre

Seems a bit too much. Best I've seen is 135 MPHTAS (117KTAS) @7500'MSL. That's with wheel fairings, full fuel, and 2 crew.

I'd be guessing here, because he was headed east, that what he might have seen is Ground Speed.

Somewhat depends how high up in altitude you are flying, but he's talking about 12,000 ft ASL. Your IAS can be pretty low up there, compared to your TAS. Add in a decent tailwind, and your ground speed could easily be that high.

I've seen GS personally that high a couple of times, once heading East to PHX area for Copper State Fly In, in early Feb, and another time in August, flying to Henderson, NV. Both were 9500 ft elevation trips and both had a good 20 kt tailwind most of the trip.

Ground speed is an entirely different matter. I've had the 12 scooting across the ground pretty good on few occasions...

Ah, my apologies. Just realized he’s talking KTAS. So....whipping out my handy E6-B ....135 KTAS would be about, just for example, 115 KCAS at 10,500 ft density altitude. But by the way, I think VNE is listed a both 136 KIAS and KTAS in the POH.

Back