What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Looking for some wiring advice GNX375 and GTR200B

PittsCondor

Well Known Member
We are going to install the new Garmin GNX375 Nav/ADSB Transponder and a Garmin GTR200B in our RV7A. Currently we have on old King KLN35A GPS and ICOM 200 Com. The new eqiupment will fit into our current panel cut outs. My question is: Should try and use our current wiring or would it be better to buy the the new equipment with 4 foot harnesses already made? The new Com radio has built in Intercom so we will be removing the intercom system to.

The following is a complete list of what we plan to remove:
KLN35A GPS
ICom 200
Transponder
Intercom

Incoder? Maybe if better to buy the GAE 12 Encoder.

We also have an old 2 axis autopilot that it would be great if we could interface with new 375. It's a Navaid Devices autopilot

Looking to install at a later date: Dual G5's or 1 G5 and G3x, plus Garmin autopilot.

I'm not a wiring guy so this is not my area of expertise. Any help / advice will be greatly appreciated.

I would say all new wire harnesses is the way to go vs. trying to salvage the old. Keep the old harnesses to sell with the used equipment (albeit cut off somewhere).

New tested harness really is the best and fastest way to go. Since you are not comfortable with that sort of thing I would suggest you have either Stein Air or Park Rapids aviation (or similar) make up your harnesses. When the new equipment arrives I would mount the items and measure the systems runs for the wiring. Send your measurements with the connector kits that came with the avionics to the harness maker. Advise the harnessing contractor whehter or not you included service loops in your measurements. I find it best to just give the nominal lengths and let the harness guy add a service loop on his own.

Jim

Expected cost for a wiring harness?

Thanks Jim,

I did as you requested and got 2 quotes to have wiring harnesses custom made. The prices I have to build a wiring harness that would wire the GPS, Autopilot, Com, Magnameter is around $4,000 and I would then install it myself. Curious if this price is in line with what others have paid? I have been told that Stien is booked out past October so I did not request a quote from him. If anyone has a shop that they would like to recommend please do.

Thanks,

Keith

If possible, make a definitive list of the near future upgrades you want to make and have the new harnesses include those.

Keith,

I've had good luck with Avionics Systems out of Leesburg, VA.

Their # is 703-669-2669.

Cheers!

I install panel system for local builders. I recommend that you buy the equipment and the harness from the same source. We go with this approach for lowest cost and to allow the harness and equipment to be tested before installation.

Keep in mind that if you use a G5 (or G3X) either now or in the future you can completely eliminate the need for a secondary encoder - be it the small built in one or remote one...and therefor put those $$'s towards said G5 or G3X. Just some more to chew on!

My 2 cents as usual.

Cheers,
Stein

Thanks to all who replied

I would like to thank everyone that replied to my post. Like most people in my position it's hard to find "the stopping point". I have talked with several people and gleaned valuable input. Most suggest I put a G3 in and skip the G5 if VFR is what most of my flying is. Most recommend an autopilot while I am at it. This leads to me a project that will cost close to $20,000 or more. It's hard to justify such an expense as I have been able to fly over 25 years with much less sophisticated equipment. I want to do it right and I only want to do it one time but still trying to decide where to "stop". I will report back once I have made the decision. Thanks to all who have been there before me that provided input.

Back