What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Show us the status of your 8/8A project!

Wow ...

Some of you guys have truly AMAZING builds going! As was already said of Matt's plane, DON'T PARK ANYWHERE NEAR MY PLANE. :D

Seriously, some of you are setting the bar so high that even an above-average project looks like doo-doo. Congratulations to you all. I'm looking forward to seeing them all in person (just don't park next to me, OK?)

Carry on.

Speaking of fittings....sometimes they just don't sell what you want, so you spend a pleasant evening with the machines.

Edit: Installed this AM....fitting connects a relocated brake reservoir with the master cylinders. Aluminum line runs parallel to the right brake line behind the panel, SS/teflon hose down to the cylinders.

Last edited:
Finally out of the jig

it's great to have it free of the lumbar.

IMG_1521.jpg

Rudder Painted

Getting closer every day!
http://i47.tinypic.com/2hmn8fb.jpg

Still a bit of touch up to do with a lil bleed through in a couple of places and for some reason I missed a couple of squares at the trailing edge..easy fix.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice Fittings!

Dan - nice work. Great location for the reservoir for ease in servicing. What machine do you have to make such nice work?

Dan - What machine do you have to make such nice work?

An old Smithy, which is a lot like an old shotgun.....can't brag on it, but it brings home most of the food.

(hey, gentle reminder; don't neglect to crop/resize your photos before uploading)

The current photo is 1600 x 1200 pixels, which extends the right margin of the whole page and makes everybody pan back and forth to read the text.

Two choices......

Resize before you upload to a photo share. Almost any photo program will resize photos, so chances are you have the tool. 600 wide x any height works real well in this forum.

Resize during the upload to a photo share. Tinypic has that option; the "resize" block is just above the "upload" button. Select "Message Board 640x480" from the drop down menu, then click hit upload.

Please excuse the reminder and tutorial; I'm an AH and it's a pet peeve:eek:

VS and Rudder Painted

Ok I've resized my pic...
2yug8ir.jpg

Identical to my squadron aircraft (HSM-70). Still need to add squadron name at the top but thats tomorrow :)

thx...wouldn't want to peev you :) what is an AH anyhoo?

Think 7 letter word that isn't appropriate for the forums...rhymes with the correct pronunciation of Dassault (dass-oh).

Although Dan, after reading a lot of your posts, you're nowhere near as big of a Dassault as I am. Maybe you meant something else.

Fuselage almost done!

So I gave up painting cause it just wasnt working out for me using stewart system.. then after a weeks break I re-attacked with a different technique. I applied three coats, let dry for an hour and applied three more. This solved the translucence problem without the runs. So here is a pic with the fuse nearly complete and ready to transport to the airport. I have some more squadron insignia to install but otherwise she's done...
ojnyf6.jpg

I built up a gentex HGU-84 helmet (same I fly with during my day job) and painted to match. I'll apply the same spartan helmet as is on the tail. The helmet has an ANR kit which works pretty good.
wh1c3p.jpg

Ryan - honestly I haven't fully decided on the wings yet. I'm leaning toward combo. I'm thinking I'll paint everything from the wing tips to the fuel tank solid blue and from the leading edge at the fuel tank seam I'll arc the blue back to the flaps at the fuselage. This keeps the fuel tank unpainted and avoiding the paint bubbles so many have had trouble with.

I might paint the flaps alternating blue/yellow stripes.

Thanks!

Finished Photo

Here is my 8 tail khttp://picasaweb.google.com/flynwest/RV8Storyit to flying with paint 19 months. What a joy to fly.

Hauling day, always a milestone. Fuselage only.....the wings need paint before they go too.

Faithful airplane help, Terry, Stan and Bill:

And finally at the airport. This is the 5th RV to 08A for "Old Faithful" (my trusty red trailer):

Last edited:
Thanks Brent!

Passed another milestone today... First engine start! All went well. After a few seconds of fuel line priming with the electric boost pump (nothing else was needed) and about 10 cranks of the prop followed by a 30 second rest, the engine turned over within 1 crank and ran smooth as silk. All gauges working as they should, alt and standby alt working great. Luckily I bought this engine for my last plane and broke it in and removed it with a total of 71 hours since new so I have few concerns other than checking for leaks and normal temps. All is good!

One question for you more experienced low wing types...when do you run the boost pump? I didn't need it for the first start at all after I primed the lines for about 15 seconds prior to starting.
2e4jmmr.jpg

Wooo Whoooo

Just got an email from Van's...

My Emp kit shipped today and I should get it on the 19th. Now I just need my tool kit to arrive from Isham's.

Holy Cow, looks like I am a buildin an aeroplane :eek::D

Welcome Aboard

Now the fun begins, and the sleepless nights, and pulling your hair out, the fear of making the big mistake, and finally seeing something you have worried about for days begin to look like an airplane part.....Most of all have fun

Rich

Insert your own caption!

I just found this photo
EasyDrillGuide
to be HILARIOUS.

The photo was taken by our good friend Alex Campbell of Ronald Parker (sitting and RV-8 builder) and me Jim (standing in the ugly shirt my wife bought me and an RV-7 builder) during the mounting of Ronald Engine Mount. I hope you guys find it as funny as I did and sorry for the gaining picture. It was taken with an iPhone.

Enjoy!

Last edited:
It's a standard kit, French DGAC does not allow Quickbuilt kits ( ask why)....this is my daily task, unless in the meantime I recover a job....a good thing for a bad one..

Thank you kindly gentlemen. BTW, it runs very well, at least for the 3 or 4 easy minutes I gave it tonight.......followed by a refreshing malted beverage ;)

Dan

I would love to know your performance during and after Phase 1. I built F1 Rocket #3 (6 years flying at KNQA and still love it) and have mentally built an airplane that looks EXACTLY like yours. The efficiency could be over the top.

Regards
Howard

Back