What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

New school project, Columbus, IN

videobobk

Well Known Member
Friend
Tuesday we got the go-ahead for a project at Columbus North HS, Columbus, IN. We have been negotiating on this since October. I was first contacted by Cummins (the diesel engine mfgr) that they would like to see something like this in Columbus, their headquarters. We are working in conjunction with a local college, industry, the local airport (BAK,) and the local school system. The build will begin in the high school and finish on the airport, at least as it is planned now. We begin this August.

Wednesday May 4 we have our first meeting with the kids. There is a lot of prep to do, but we have some of the tools, and good local support as far as mentors. One of our directors will be directly involved.

You might note that BAK is a popular stop, and has a good restaurant, so give me a call if you ever want to visit this project. We can set something up, probably even for chapter visits.

Any donations toward tools, kits, or their Oshkosh trip (Only a few this year) can be made directly to AviationNation, Inc, 4580 W 900N, Scipio, IN, 47273. We are of course 501(c)(3) non-profit.

Bob

Hi Bob,

I'm involved in Brighton Build-a-Plane's RV-12, and I find it quite a rewarding program. I'm going to be in Columbus July 16-21 for the Cessna 170 Convention, and if I can find some free time in the schedule I might be able to round up a few folks who would be interested in a project visit.

Hi Bob - I am located on the field at BAK, in the final throws of RV-8 building, and have plenty of tools and some hangar space. Glad to help as I can.

Bob, good news to hear! And also ironic. I went to North, having left my sophmore year and moved to NC. I got my start flying with the CAP unit at BAK and spent many nights up in the tower with a good friend who worked there and was gracious enough to have a kid hang out with him all night! I still have family in Columbus, I'll definitely give you a call when in town next summer (albeit in a DA-40, not my 10).

Best of luck with the project!

Nice to hear from people here, and who plan to be at BAK! Not sure what we will be doing this summer just yet, but we welcome you all. I know we will be preparing for the project yet this school year, and have some summer activities scheduled, including taking a few students to Oshkosh, and the June 11 Airport Awareness Day. Also will have some of the JCHS students involved with both of those things, and more.

I can't thank the school enough for their cooperation. This is the first project where we have had a dedicated room, not to be used for other classes. A lot remains to be resolved (schedules, etc,) but it promises to be well done. For you people from Columbus, we will have room for mentors. You can't believe how much fun that is! We have some local businesses involved, but do need donations for things like the OSH trip. Also for kit sponsorship.

Since we have two planes being built in this area, one is for sale. Probably the cheapest way to get an RV-12 built to your spec! Contact me on any of those thoughts, AviationNation, Inc, 4580 W 900N, Scipio, IN 47273 or call me on (812) 701-5454. Will fill you in on progress on this thread.

Bob

Tuesday we got the go-ahead for a project at Columbus North HS, Columbus, IN. We have been negotiating on this since October. I was first contacted by Cummins (the diesel engine mfgr) that they would like to see something like this in Columbus, their headquarters. We are working in conjunction with a local college, industry, the local airport (BAK,) and the local school system. The build will begin in the high school and finish on the airport, at least as it is planned now. We begin this August.

Wednesday May 4 we have our first meeting with the kids. There is a lot of prep to do, but we have some of the tools, and good local support as far as mentors. One of our directors will be directly involved.

You might note that BAK is a popular stop, and has a good restaurant, so give me a call if you ever want to visit this project. We can set something up, probably even for chapter visits.

Any donations toward tools, kits, or their Oshkosh trip (Only a few this year) can be made directly to AviationNation, Inc, 4580 W 900N, Scipio, IN, 47273. We are of course 501(c)(3) non-profit.

Bob

Bob:

I fly an EMS helicopter and we're based at a hangar on the west side of KBAK. I have a Super 8 that I fly and am building an RV-10 (at Shelbyville). Let me know if you want to bring the class by for a hangar visit and a quick briefing, and look see at our helicopter. Prijects like yours are a great thing for high schoolers that I wish I could have done at that age :).

Bob:

I fly an EMS helicopter and we're based at a hangar on the west side of KBAK. I have a Super 8 that I fly and am building an RV-10 (at Shelbyville). Let me know if you want to bring the class by for a hangar visit and a quick briefing, and look see at our helicopter. Prijects like yours are a great thing for high schoolers that I wish I could have done at that age :).

Absolutely will do that next fall! Stop by and meet us at AAD June 11.

Bob

The first meeting was to measure interest, and it went well. It was basically just students from one school (three will be eligible) and there were 16 students, with 3 known not being able to attend. Word had only been "out" for two days, so I would say there is plenty of interest. We did have one student from JCHS there to explain more what they would be doing. It is always fun to give someone the chance to do something like that.

Bob

Back