What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Jekyll Island

blahphish

Well Known Member
Now this trip is what building this plane was all about! Brandi's birthday was this past weekend and I had planned a little surprise trip down to Jekyll Island. We arrived at the hangar around 9:30am Saturday morning and all the guys were already there busy cleaning things up. We pitched in and then I did an oil change on our bird. Bill generously loaned us a case of oil and Walt saved the day by having an oil filter we could use. We took off, got fuel at a nearby airport for $4.99/gal and off we went. There was some weather between ATL and Jekyll so we climbed up to 10,500 feet, which was high enough to get over it all. We did jump up to 13.5 briefly to dodge some taller clouds. The view was spectacular. I have always loved flying among the clouds. We cruised at 170 knots (195MPH) most of the way there. As we got closer we began to see some really pretty scenery as the river and wetland area permeated the area.

WP20120715-M.jpg

IMG9766-M.jpg

We landed and got all tied down and rented a 'Red Bug' (electric car similar to a golf cart) for the day. Rich, a very nice gentlemen at the FBO was helpful and friendly and chatted with us about a few things on the island and later about our plane. He was very complimentary and enthusiastic! So off we went to our campsite with our camping gear loaded up. We got our tent all setup in a quaint little area that had picturesque trees that I call Savannah Trees (because they have that mossy stuff hanging from them, no idea what its actually called). Then we had a delicious dinner at a place called Driftwood that had some really excellent southern cooking. Next, Brandi and I had a nice long walk on the beach (oh how cliche). The weather was perfect and the water was warm as we had our shoes off and were walking just along the edge. We drove around the island some more and found a huge soccer complex that was empty except a family of deer. We then went over to the Marina and 'window shopped' at all the nice boats and pretended like we had to pick one out to be ours. I liked ones that tended to have a nice big open area on the back for fishing/launching for scuba. Brandi was eyeballing a gorgeous sailboat. Next we toured the historic district, which had some impressive old plantation style homes of some big names from the past like J.P. Morgan and Rockefeller. We then walked along the fishing pier hopeful to see someone hauling in a big catch but it was pretty uneventful. It was starting to get dark and we were tired so we decided to head back to the tent. We had packed a cooler with a couple beers so we grabbed them and enjoyed them in the tent because we had to hide from the mosquitoes lol. The camping trip was a surprise to Brandi so in our last minute packing (30 minutes by the way, nice!) we neglected to bring a flashlight. We also only had a sleeping bag as padding to sleep on. Oops! Could have been a better evening but the next morning was gorgeous weather and scenery to cheer things back up.

WP20120715-31-M.jpg

IMG9750-M.jpg

We had a delicious breakfast at the golf course and then decided to head home to beat the weather. We had an amazing weekend and both agreed we want to go back again. After having put so much hard work into building our plane, it was such a reward to have a nice get away weekend like this. The biggest problem we have now is that there are so many great places to go visit and its tough to pick where to go next!

IMG9771-M.jpg

bravo uniform. congrats on your sucsessful trip. been there for the day and also to the king and prince resort next airport up for the sunday brunch. the best i have ever had. you have a lot of places yet to come.

57618435926319081128511.jpg

My wife and I were just there a few weeks ago! Really neat place. Laid back, relaxed and not too turisty. My kind of place.

The mossy stuff on the trees is called Spanish Moss. In the colonial era Spanish trading ships would use it for packing material and they would toss it on the ground when they unloaded the ships and containers. With no natural predators it spread like wildfire.

Happy Birthday Brandi.

The biggest problem we have now is that there are so many great places to go visit and its tough to pick where to go next!

IMG9771-M.jpg

You two are still young, you have time to see a lot of wonderful things/places.

Enjoy!!!

PUJ for fuel?

Looks like KPUJ for fuel. Recognize the dirt bank in the background and the two story FBO. I also like their gas prices. !!

Looks like KPUJ for fuel. Recognize the dirt bank in the background and the two story FBO. I also like their gas prices. !!

Yep! You named it.

carlrai said:
If you go to Cedar Key send me a PM when. There's a few of us 35 min south that would love to join you for lunch

Will do. That area is close (in RV terms) to us so I'm sure it wont be long before we buzz out there for a quick weekend trip again.

We were there last month, by chance.. we were on our way down into Florida when Debbie stopped us from getting in. We looked for a place to park it for the night and I recalled Pilot Getaways had done a report on Jekyll, so we flew there. Rich was fantastic, ex Delta pilot who loves flying and taking care of people. We drove around in a cart and loved the place and the history that has occurred there.
We'll leave California in December and try Florida again, weather should be fine, if not we'll stop at Jekyll again!

Here are some places to visit from ATL- http://www.funplacestofly.com/list.asp?st=GA

Pascal
RV-10

Last edited:
Next Destination...

OSH. See you there.

Be careful with the wx, very unstable in Ky/Oh area now and a slow mover. We are planning to head NW from PMH Sat AM early. Supposed to improve here by then. It is looking like a little rain in HBC in the forecast next week. Don't forget your raincoats.

Great write up! Seem like just yesterday your new profession was taxing around the airport according to Brandi! Oh and happy Birthday!

Back