What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Hello, long time reader, built and flying RV-7A

Roy Thoma

Well Known Member
Hi,

I've been reading VAF for many years. GREAT site. I started building my RV-7A tip-up in August of 2008. First flight was May 31, 2011. I've flown almost 200 hours since then. Details about my plane below.

A bit about me: I'm have an electrical engineer, computer science degree. I got my private ticket in 1987. Instrument rating in 1990. I've been a member of EAA chapter 105 for 18+ years and I'm currently on the board of directors. I've worked for Texas Instruments (Houston), Compaq Computer (Houston), Intel (Hillsboro, OR) and a small start up called ADDMM. I started working part time for Advanced Flight Systems shortly after the first flight of my RV.

I built an IFR legal, Zenair CH601HDS with a nose wheel, powered with a Rotax 912ULS. First flight was May 12, 2003 and flew it more than 1550 hours in eight years. Several things in the HDS were influenced by my proximity to Van's aircraft and the local, active RV building community. Custom version of Duckworks lights, manual aileron trim adapted from Van's side by side trim kit, Van's vent kit, modified pressure recovery wheel pants, primed interior parts, and probably more.

MY RV-7A, N174RT:
  • QB fuselage and wings
  • Lycon built IO-360-EXP (B1B, roller cam), 10:1 pistons, port, flowed and balanced, Airflow Performance FM-150, one Slick Mag (aviation plugs), one PMAG (auto plugs). Data plate says 180hp, Lycon dyno reported 223hp, Airflow Performance fuel pump from Vans.
  • WW-200RV propeller, 3" prop extension (Purchased when I was going to build a plenum, I decided not to do the plenum in the interest of getting in the air, and decided to use the extension anyway.)
  • Plane power primary alternator (from Vans FWF kit), shunt for current monitoring
  • B&C SD-20 with standby regulator, AFS hall effect sensor for current monitoring
  • Single firewall mounted PC680 battery,
  • RV-10 oil cooler mounted on the firewall. (My oil temps are too cool if anything. I've restricted the 4" opening to 3" and need more restriction.)
  • Brakes for pilot and co-pilot, springs on brake cylinders
  • Matco nose wheel axle
  • Classic Aero Design interior, floor carpets, aviator side panels, leather sportsman seats w/seat heaters, stick boots, aileron pushrod boots
  • Tosten CS-8 stick grips
  • TCW Intelligent Flap Controller
  • Duckworks HID leading edge landing/taxi lights
  • Custom round LED lamps in wing tips for WIG-WAG, on steady with leading edge lights
  • Whelen LED nav/position/strobe
  • Primed interior surfaces with NAPA rattle can primer
  • Cockpit interior painted with Rustoleum hammered gray, also rattle can
  • Electric elevator and aileron trim, POS-12 for flap position sensor
  • I removed the gelcoat from Vans fiberglass parts, messy time consuming process. I think gelcoat is heavy (3lbs per wing tip for mine) and prone to cracking. It also adds stiffness to the parts.
  • Still need to install intersection fairings. Fiberglass parts have gray primer, the rest of the plane is unpainted.
Instrument panel, about one inch taller than standard, I'll try to figure out posting pictures soon:
  • AFS-5600 + AF-Pilot + ARINC (I originally flew with an AFS-4500 mounted in an adapter.)
  • Garmin GPSMAP-296
  • PS engineering
  • Garmin GNS-430W
  • Garmin SL-30
  • Garmin GTX-327
  • CO-guardian 353-P detector
  • Dynon D-100 (bright screen) with HS-34 for backup
  • AK-451 406MHz ELT
  • Angus Aviation / Gretz Aero GA-1000 heated pitot tube
  • SteinAir Black vents and alternate static source switch
  • Push button start
  • Breakers for alternators and things with motors, fuses for everything else
  • One switched +12V outlet, one unswitched (always hot) +12V outlet
  • Currently installing NavWorx ADS600-B
  • Space and mount location for a hand held comm (possibly nav/comm)
  • Right wing tip has AFS and Dynon magnetometers, Dynon temp sensor and Bob Archer Nav antenna.
  • Single bent whip comm antenna on the belly shared by radio's through Bob Archer switch box, initial flights with Bob Archer Comm antenna in left wing tip and did not have satisfactory performance.
  • AFS temp sensor mounted on forward left wing fuel tank mount to fuselage, and needs to be moved as it measures air warmed by the engine

Empty weight 1127 empty, nose 297, left main 409, right main 421

I have not done careful performance analysis. Generally cruise ~170kts, ~8gph LOP.

Say, Doug.

The new post by 'Roy' this morning prompted this post. Amazing talent we have on here.

How 'bout we start a new thread entitled, "Show us your day job."

They did that on the Primo grill forum and it was an immense hit, with guys showing themselves welding on nuclear plumbing, surgeons operating and so on.

How 'bout it?

Thanks,

The new post by 'Roy' this morning prompted this post. Amazing talent we have on here.

How 'bout we start a new thread entitled, "Show us your day job."

They did that on the Primo grill forum and it was an immense hit, with guys showing themselves welding on nuclear plumbing, surgeons operating and so on.

How 'bout it?

Thanks,

Pierre, thread started! Lets see it, 4' with the spray on.

Roy, sounds like a nice rig. Lets see pictures!

Back