What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

The Rock

Vlad

Well Known Member
Off the coast of Newfoundland there is a French enclave. Two islands Saint Pierre and Miquelon both have nice airports. Both claim to be stunning tourist destinations. So scarce intel was pieced together, a crew member found, couple calls made and up we went against the time on a cool May day northwest bound.

The flight was uneventful. We had a breakfast in Massachusetts then refueled at Wiscasset Maine. From there we were on course to Prince Edwards Island but encountered some clouds loaded with hard water and diverted to Stanley, NS. There we topped off with $2 a liter avgas and continued our journey.

The trip wouldn't be possible without my copilot. I met him several years ago on an airliners' web board and he is qualified to fly my RV from the left seat. Amazing fellow! Private pilot with instrument rating, fluent in French. But this time he preferred right seat.

Not much to see for now...

Another 15 minutes and we see a land. New found land!

Very impressive rocky landscape of Newfoundland.

We dropped under the layer, found our islands and flew feet wet for couple minutes. A French controller told us to report the field in sight.

Field in sight. You are cleared to land. Welcome to France!

Last edited:
Tower instructed us where to park, we took our bags and went inside the terminal. A gendarme/immigration clerk and 4 customs officers (all four had the same name embroidered at their uniform - Duane) spent some quality time talking to us about the purpose of the visit. Then about airplane then about travel experience... well before we knew an hour passed by...

It's now after hours and fueler got his overtime charge. Two credit cards didn't worked but the third took the hit. That was the bill for avgas.

After fueling I was allowed to reposition my RV by the tiedown rings. Previously visited aircrafts reported no tiedowns but there are several and they are closer to the big hangar.

A cabbie from the hotel picked us up. We could easily walk but those bags... cost us some euros to transport.

The only 4 star hotel on the island - Jacques Cartier we made reservations couple weeks prior. Very nice boutique hotel.

Last edited:
We settled in the room and immediately felt hunger.

Our prowl for food started. Last meal was in Massachusetts about 10 hours ago. There are a few good restaurants on the island but nearly all of them require reservations for dinner. It means a restaurant is empty there is a killer food smell but the waitress apologizes for no vacant tables. Wow!

Nothing helped. We asked locals they pointed us to a place it's booked. My copilot met a Berber countryman at a seafood joint but he said sorry nothing for today come tomorrow around noon we are serving lobsters. Well, at least we secured tomorrow's lunch.

We crisscrossed the little town couple times before we found this pizza place. No reservations needed but to get these precious pies we waiter for almost 1 hour. We couldn't finish the pizzas, took leftovers to the hotel and never touched them again.

A last glimpse of sunshine and clouds covered the territory. Forecast for tomorrow wasn't promising.

We are not going anywhere.

Last edited:
"Both claim to be stunning tourist destinations."

Really? I've never been, but I've looked into it, and I never found any such claims ... might still be fun to go for the challenge and the uniqueness of it, but I'm not sure about the "touristy" nature of the place!

It's now after hours and fueler got his overtime charge. Two credit cards didn't worked but the third took the hit. That was the bill for avgas.

After fueling I was allowed to reposition my RV by the tiedown rings. Previously visited aircrafts reported no tiedowns but there are several and they are closer to the big hangar.

OUCH, So if I've got this right, that was US $271.41 for about 35 Gallons of gas... you were on fumes Buddy. Nice trip report as always Vlad, looks like a trip Deb & I need to go on sometime. A Northeast fall foliage trip. :cool:

OUCH, So if I've got this right, that was US $271.41 for about 35 Gallons of gas... you were on fumes Buddy. Nice trip report as always Vlad, looks like a trip Deb & I need to go on sometime. A Northeast fall foliage trip. :cool:

Scott I filled two jar cans (11 gal) just in case. We were planning a stop where no fuel is available.

France. Day 2.

Next day weather was as forecasted. Windy, foggy, in low 40ies. Not even a chance for island hop. Typical Aleutian climate.

We rested well, had a nice breakfast at the hotel and went sightseeing on foot.

In about an hour we walked the little town. Our lobster lunch is still two hours away.

This French cold really gets on you. We brought a lot of warm clothes but no rain gear. Let's go to the Museum of the Archives.

We were the only visitors. A very nice guide gave us an excellent tour.

Last edited:
Then on lower level we met an artist/photographer by his own exhibition. I was so glad I had an interpreter. Then we met the Mayor at the same Museum. She invited us to come next year. What a day!

Lobster lunch was next the portion was so big I had to have a drink of vodka to finish it. Then we made a reservation for dinner. Wohooo!

We stopped at the local supermarket just in case. Bought some munchies and went to the hotel to recuperate.

Took a nap till dinner. Dinner was good. Tomorrow's forecast looks promising French weatherman said the sky will open around 10 am.

Day 3. Arial Tour and Departure.

The French weatherman opened the sky for us around 9 am. We were already in the tower/FSS.

Fed RV with two last quarts of oil, filled necessary forms, said farewell to very helpful controller and got airborne.

Very interesting place from the air. Old St. Pierre airport runway is still visible.

Power station and water reservoir. The island is very efficient.

We flew low level to Miquelon, another French island. There is a sand dune connecting two islands and a smooth road running through it. We saw a herd of mustangs they looked pretty wild but not scared at all. They even ran in our direction I kid you not.

Miquelon village and airport pretty deserted place.

Departing France.

Then from here we started our run against the time. Sky were open over Newfoundland and Eastern Canada but a line of powerful storms was developing in US and we planned to get home before it hits our final destination. Yes, the dreaded home getitis. Quick hop to Newfoundland the weather was beautiful and views magnificent.

Hope Brook Gold mine.

Very rocky terrain. We are getting closer to civilization again. Fishing villages are becoming towns...

CDA5 St. Andrew of Codroy Valley. A point of express rest, refuel from jar cans and situation reassessment. There were two bikers and a dog on the runway but by the time we joined the final course they disappeared.

Two magic carpets both need a compass to function.

From here my copilot will bear major if not all responsibilities. A lot of work will be done within next five hours on top and between layers.

We still have good weather over the water but in Maine it's already getting low. So instead of going to Bangor, ME we are amending our route and calling US Customs at Lubec checkpoint which is located by a municipal airport 65B with an RV suitable grass strip. We were told do not land until you call us. And after spending couple hours in the air we did circle the checkpoint for 10 minutes catching that phone signal. Then we were holding over the airport for another 15 minutes watching the officers to arrive. If I tell you the grass runway was OK don't believe me. It's bushes one foot high probably were never cut this season. There is no gas. Two crews of pleasant officers with very cute dog spent about an hour talking to us. They were surprised we came here. Every single carpet in the airplane was lifted and checked, every hatch open, every single bag was removed and searched. Every card, document and banknote in the wallet were inspected and questions asked. That what I would call a ramp check which we passed with flying colors. Some planned time was lost and after take off we gave my old RV a good workout. We landed at home airport before first drops of rain hit the ground and well before dark. It was a stunning destination as advertised. A trip to remember. Total time was 18 hours.

Last edited:
Vlad, nice record of trip - especially the food pics (mouth watering), and aerials.

I always assumed that in order to cross international borders an airplane required 12" fuselage registration numbers - not so?

I like the picture of the guy praying with the gas can on the wing in the background. A whale of a trip!

Last edited:
Vlad, nice record of trip - especially the food pics (mouth watering), and aerials.

I always assumed that in order to cross international borders an airplane required 12" fuselage registration numbers - not so?

I think that is only required when crossing the ADIZ into the US (like from the Bahamas). It isn't required here in Canada. It certainly isn't needed on flights between Canada and the US.

I like the picture of the guy praying with the gas can on the wing in the background. A whale of a trip!

That guy happens to be me , it was quiet a trip , and Vlad is quiet an aviator , one year later ...and because of this trip , I bought my First RV !

That guy happens to be me , it was quiet a trip , and Vlad is quiet an aviator , one year later ...and because of this trip , I bought my First RV !

I missed this trip report when posted a year ago - glad you commented now so I saw it. Great report, Vlad.

Sibirsky, let us know what model RV you bought; that -9 of Vlad's is some traveling machine.

Back