What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Air Graphics

Martyrv6a

Well Known Member
Looking around on this site and others, I've found the name for a couple of graphics shops that will supply graphics for our planes, they are Freedom Sign in NV and Air Graphics LLC in WS. Anyone know of any others who do this?

Marty RV-6A finishing.

Turbine Aircraft Services graphics department in San Angelo, Texas, 325-486-9113, ask for Byron.

I used the Air Graphics of Wisconsin and have been very satisfied with their product. Their patience during the process was remarkable. I let my wife pick the design and colors, she spent hours on the phone deciding, they even mailed a color match book and emailed numerous designs before she finally decided. We installed the graphics ourselves and it looked far more difficult that it was, took about two hours. Their service and product is good, but not cheap. I think I was pretty dang smart on that exercise, I avoided all kinds of possible martial booby traps. Dan.

Potaydo, Potado

Graphics are graphics. While we naturally tend to seek out those companys specializing in producing aviation related graphics such as my favorite, Aerographics http://www.aerographics.com/ you may want to research possibilities in your own backyard. For instance, "Fast Signs" http://www.fastsigns.com/ a national franchise can quickly whip up just about anything you want. I had a local Fast Signs shop make me up a series of placards and other small graphics ready for pickup the next day. If a local graphics company can wrap a delivery van in all manner of colorful custom vinyl graphics, chances are they can do the same for your airplane too.

2pyrnte.jpg

I know the folks at Air Graphics very well and they are outstanding in every way. I highly recommend them and their work. By the way, they supply all the graphics for Cirrus Aircraft.

Gerry

graphics

I applaud everyone who has used vinyl graphics on their aircraft, and thought it was easy. It is quite a challenging surface, with compound curves, lap joints rivets etc.

I would caution that perhaps 'graphics are graphics' is a bit misleading.
...sorta like 'paint is paint'. would you use house paint on your RV?

While most graphics providers are knowledgeable and professional, the other 75% that I've encountered aren't technically informed about their product.

by all means, use other aviators recommendations, your local paint shop, etc.

large graphics when designed to fit the shape of an aircraft start to use up many square feet of material, and some will use inferior product to keep the price down. I would expect fully half of the cost to be for design, just fitting to the structure, avoiding compound curves etc.

'Name brand materials like 3M, Avery, Oracal are good to look for, as well as ensuring the vinyl is a 'cast' formulation, usually 2 mil thick.
3 mil or thicker is usually a 'calendared' film, and will shrink and crack eventually.
If you are having images digitally printed onto a base material, that's a more complex issue, with laminates and ink longevity to consider.

Screamingaero

Just received my vinyl graphics from Ed at www.screamingaero.com 352-236-6333. Along with basic stuff, he also did a custom graphic for my nose art. All I did was email him a vector file. Per flyboy, the graphics are on 3M material but not sure the thickness.

The custom nose art is 4 color and looks great. He was able to take the one file and reverse it for the other side with no problems. I will be putting them on the plane this weekend and expect the process to be smooth.

graphics

I could write a novel on application techniques, some of which actually work :D but does'nt hurt to say WARM the graphics thoroughly after application. this takes the stress out of the vinyl, and it won't shrink back from an edge, rivet, etc.
Don't bridge over panels, seams, breaks. cut carefully and WARM and burnish the edges.
Re-squeegee after 24 hours with a soft cloth over the Plastic appicator, or an actual tyvek sleeve if available. turn frequently to avoid scratching should a piece of grit get in the sleeve.

Perry,

Is it ok to put the graphics on and THEN cut for places like the cowl-fuselage joint, or should one cut the graphics first. Seems things would line up easier if you put them on and then cut as necessary.

thanks,
greg

Put them on first then cut. Heed flyboy"s post above.

But most importantly CLEAN the surface before you start. Use a toothbrush around rivets and seams.

Last edited:
graphics

Greg, Milt's advice is bang-on.
In fact, it pays to pretend like you are going to paint the surface. That includes moderate temps, clean surface, and no dust blowing around.
Very sharp name-brand blades are important, and you really need to cut MOST of the way thru the vinyl; it will shear on the cut line. DON"T cut thru into your paint, or this becomes a failure point, not to mention potentially damaging a structural skin.

The comments above are spot on. I'll only add an admonishment that the surface that the vinyl graphic is installed on will show through the vinyl in all it's glory. So, don't be fooled into thinking that the vinyl will cover orange peel, paint lines, bugs, bumps, or scratches. If anything, the vinyl will magnify the defect.

Also, make sure that your supplier provides you with only premium vinyl rated for outdoor exposure. One example among many is Avery A9 cast vinyl which is rated for up to 9 years outdoors. In a hangar, it will last the life of your paint job.

Our old website at www.vincesrocket.com is still up and running, but not updated any longer. Our new site for tailwheels, and 100 other RV products is at the URL on my signature.

Back