What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Dimpling the elevator tip ribs

AndyWAUS

Hi everyone.

It looks like a step is missing in the empennage plans page 9-9. Step 4 of the page talks about dimpling two holes in the web of E-903 and E-904. Then step 5 says to dimple the top and bottom flanges of the E-903 and E-904 Tip Ribs for the skin dimples. However, it doesn’t mention the three holes in the front flanges. The E-913 counterbalance skin goes around the top, front, and bottom flanges of the tip ribs, and all holes in the skin are dimpled, so I assume the front flange of the tip ribs have to be dimpled too. Could someone please confirm?

Thank you!

Yes, those front holes get dimpled too. If you look ahead on page 10 for the rivet callouts for the counterbalance skin, all rivets are AN426's for the flange surfaces.

Hi everyone.

It looks like a step is missing in the empennage plans page 9-9. Step 4 of the page talks about dimpling two holes in the web of E-903 and E-904. Then step 5 says to dimple the top and bottom flanges of the E-903 and E-904 Tip Ribs for the skin dimples. However, it doesn’t mention the three holes in the front flanges. The E-913 counterbalance skin goes around the top, front, and bottom flanges of the tip ribs, and all holes in the skin are dimpled, so I assume the front flange of the tip ribs have to be dimpled too. Could someone please confirm?

Thank you!

Yes. .this becomes more and more common as you progress into other parts of the build. .kinds like at the beginning, they tell you every step to make a Peanut butter and jelly sandwich.. open the jar counterclockwise, apply 2 ounces of peanut butter to one side of the bread. . When you get to the wings, they just say "make a sandwich" I remember reading this somewhere, but only now I'm understanding what they meant!

Thank you, good to know! The riveting page is where I stopped, looked at the prepped parts and thought - wait a minute, they don’t fit. Going to dimple a few holes in the primed skin, no big deal I guess.

You may find that you like dimpling after priming so much that you continue to do so. It eliminates trying to scuff all those dimpled "divots" when you prime.

Instructions

One problem that I’ve encountered is that it will call out the dimples and or countersinking for one part and just ignore that for a part right next to it. When you get to the fuselage, make sure you look ahead to see what kinds of rivets you will need in certain parts, and make sure that you do a search for “gotchas”.

Back