What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Egt

dan carley

Well Known Member
I have a 0360 180 hp in my Rv6
Number 2 cylinder at cruise gets to about 1425 degrees. What is the maximum
Egt that would still be ok

Thanks
Danny
N15vr

My EGT will get that high in the summertime on my RV6with 180 horse but the bigger question is what your CHT doing? EGT is a function of where the probe is relative to the valves and will vary a lot between installations which is the reason I understand there is no published maximum EGT, unlike CHT.

I have EGTs that peak about 1520-1540F. 90% of my flight hours are flying with those peak EGT. as Martyrv6a said in post before me, it is all a function of how close to the flange the probe is located. Goal is to have them all equal distance from flange.
I Talked to JPI guy at OSH one year about it and he said only issue with higher temps is that you may need to replace the probe earlier than if you had it a bit further from the flange where the temp was lower. I am nearing 1000 hours and still on original probes.

The only thing the temp of the egt tells you is how far from the
Cyl the probe is. Closer probe, higher temp, faster response, faster prob wear. Farther away, lower temp, slower response, longer probe life. The important part is the probes be the same distance and the spread between them.

Back