What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

AFS clock Battery

n567vb

Has anyone replaced the coin cell clock battery in an Advanced AFS-4500?There's a cover plate for what seemingly would be to access the coin cell battery, but the battery isn't accesseable by it. It looks like you have to remove and completely disassembly the entire unit to be able to access the battery. It's has to be easier than that, right?

Vince
RV-7
N567VB

My memory may have gone way south here but this is what I remember. starting out years ago when they first come out with the 3400/3500, it had a coin type battery. Upgraded to the 4500 and it had the same cover with nothing under it. The battery was changed to a different type with a cover plate attaching it to the EFIS, had to remove a different cover to find it. Now the 5500 has a remote mounted battery. If I recall the cover you removed is where the battery was on the 3500 as they used the same case.

BTW you will probably need to get it from AFS. Hope this helps

Last edited:
My memory may have gone way south here but this is what I remember. starting out years ago when they first come out with the 3400/3500, it had a coin type battery. Upgraded to the 4500 and it had the same cover with nothing under it. The battery was changed to a different type with a cover plate attaching it to the EFIS, had to remove a different cover to find it. Now the 5500 has a remote mounted battery. If I recall the cover you removed is where the battery was on the 3500 as they used the same case.

BTW you will probably need to get it from AFS. Hope this helps

Yeah. I have both a 4500S and a 3400 in my RV-9A and both batteries are on their last legs (I get about 25 seconds of backup). My buddy, who does my avionics work, mentioned that those batteries are (IIRC) $110 each and the unit has to be pulled to install it, along with detaching several of the connections. Cheaper than my G5 battery, which I could install instead and is $150

Yeah. I have both a 4500S and a 3400 in my RV-9A and both batteries are on their last legs (I get about 25 seconds of backup). My buddy, who does my avionics work, mentioned that those batteries are (IIRC) $110 each and the unit has to be pulled to install it, along with detaching several of the connections. Cheaper than my G5 battery, which I could install instead and is $150

That's the back up batteries. This is the clock battery I'm looking for. Back ups are the lithiom Ion, the clock battery is just a small coin cell battery.

If you have some access to the back of the unit. There is a cover with six screws and then you can remove and you can access to the back up battery easily. Its the bottom panel on the backside of the unit. No mechanic needed if can reach.

Vince

FYI- I got this from AFS today:

Only the Non-S has the replaceable clock battery. The AF-4500 does have a soldered in battery but it was made obsolete with software so no replacement is required.

Back