What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Top vs bottom of horizontal stab

msmst25

Well Known Member
I just want to make sure that I have this correct. I probably missed it in the plans, but I found a spot that indicated that the brackets on the front spar are on the bottom. I circled the brackets in red in the pic. I want to confirm that I am correct before I start dimpling the skins.
Untitled by Matt McCoy, on Flickr

The brackets do mount on the bottom of the spar, however from the pics it looks like you might have these reversed, as the "slanted" portion of the bracket goes on the inboard side. Admittedly, it's hard to tell the exact orientation due to the viewing angle of the pics you posted.

No, the slanted portion goes on the outboard side.
It is meant to match up with the tapper angle of the longeron on each side.

And yes, the brackets are located on the bottom.

Thanks for correcting that Scott. I'm not sure what I was thinking, it's been a while since I completed that step and I remembered it differently. Next time I'll look back at the plans before making another stupid comment ...

Slanted portion

Thanks for the clarification. I do have the slanted portion on the outboard side, although it is hard to tell from the pic.

Back