What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Proseal fillet question

Jskyking

Well Known Member
This is my first pro seal job and I?m trying to visualize the ? generous fillet of sealant approx 3/8 ? radius at the interior corner of the rib?.......

1. Are they saying the Proseal radius should be 3/8? tall?

Or

The radius should extend 3/8 ? from the flange. In other words to a build up vertically or laterally.

2. What are they calling the ? interior corner?. I would think that would be the corners where the rear baffle mates up to each rib.
I suppose one could interpret the paragraph as to do each corner of only the most inboard rib and the most outboard rib.

It?s a head scratcher, I appreciate an interpretation.

oDn.jpg

If you took a round piece of material, 3/4" in diameter, it would lay evenly in a 3/8" radius.

The radius is in the inside corner of the parts.

Like cove molding in the wall to ceiling joint of older houses.

Google is you friend if you still can not visualize it.

Probably over thinking it. I get the bathroom caulking analogy. Can I presume that the plans refer to doing ONLY the most inboard and the most outboard ribs and NOT every rib?

It's cheap. Lay it on until there's no way anything can leak anywhere, and then add some more. May not be pretty, but it won't leak so nobody will ever see it. I just made sure there were no small bits that could come loose. Covered every single rivet head and every part of every joint so there was no pathway from the tank to a rivet.

Chris

Can I presume that the plans refer to doing ONLY the most inboard and the most outboard ribs and NOT every rib?

Yes

When working on the tanks keep the primary goal in mind..... to build a leak free vessel to carry fuel in.

To do that, you must be sealing any path for fuel to leak from inside to outside. I.E., there is little point in stopping fuel from moving between one rib bay and the next because that area is still inside the tank.
In fact, we want a path between rib bays at the bottom corner so that there is no risk of entrapping water or sediment outboard of the inner most bay that has the sumping drain in it.

So, the corners being described are the corners formed at each end of the baffle where it interfaces with the end ribs. The holes located in those corners require some extra sealant to assure the get closed up since you wont have access to work/shape the sealant from the inside (well some RV models have access on the inboard end, but none do on the outboard end).

Back