What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

My Stewart Systems EkoPoxy experience

SkyFlorida

I primed my empennage with Akzo, but was interested in finding something less lethal for the rest of my plane. I spoke with Stewart Systems at SnF and it seemed like a decent option.

I bought a new spray gun using their specifications and mixed according to directions. Fifteen minutes into spraying the rear spar components, the new spray gun clogged up. I quickly grabbed my old Critter spray gun and went on with the priming. Five minutes later that gun stopped working.

I spoke with the SS folks several times today and the best they can judge is that the Florida heat (82 degrees at 8 AM) was causing the primer to dry in the nozzle. They recommended I keep the primer cooler (whatever that means).

Not being able to prime in the backyard is a non-starter for me. Unless someone has additional insight, I'm probably going to go back to Akzo. Apart from the care I had to take to protect myself, it was a pretty flawless process. It even seemed like Akzo dried a lot faster, but I never had a problem with my spray gun.

Thought I'd pass on my experience in case anyone finds it useful. I know I've benefitted greatly from the collective wisdom here at VAF.

I'm just up the road from you in Jax. I haven't experienced the same issue. You may have already tried this, but here's how I did it. I diluted the paint with distilled water and poured it through a paint strainer. I'm using an HVLP gun from Lowes (forget the model). I don't have a large compressor (30 gallon also from Lowes) or a fancy water separaration system (filter at compressor and a filter attached to the gun). I spray outside and have been pleased with the results. I don't think that I will use their paint for the finish, however.

Last edited:
I'm just up the road from you in Jax. I haven't experienced the same issue. You may have already tried this, but here's how I did it. I diluted the paint with distilled water and poured it through a paint strainer. I'm using an HVLP gun from Lowes (forget the model). I don't have a large compressor (30 gallon also from Lowes) or a fancy water separaration system (filter at compressor and a filter attached to the gun). I spray outside and have been pleased with the results. I don't think that I will use their paint for the finish, however.

I did all the same things. Distilled water, paint strainer etc.

Oh, well.

Good input. I bought a quart, mostly for priming interior parts, and I haven't tried it yet. I'm going to use JetFlex WR as the final coat.

Good input. I bought a quart, mostly for priming interior parts, and I haven't tried it yet. I'm going to use JetFlex WR as the final coat.

I can vouch for JetFlex WR paint spraying well at 80 F to 90 F, but at a low humidity....:)

I used Stewart Systems primer on my tail and had great results. Easy to use, good coverage, quick dry time, easy clean up. Used a harbor freight small HVLP gun. Was planning on using SS for finish paint but sold my project after I bought a flying RV6A.
Just another data point.

Liked It

I've used SS Primer on an RV-10 and RV-7. Had very good results, but noticed if I didn't cut it just right with DI water, it would get "grainy" and clog the gun. I would also notice somewhat of a texture on the sprayed parts. The best results for me were using the small touch up gun from Harbor Freight. So easy to clean afterward and did a nice spray for this viscosity.

SS over Zinc Chromate?

Anybody have any experience with SS finish over zinc chromate? I'd like to go that route if it'll work. Called SS and they say no/yes/maybe/we don't know if it will work. Your thoughts and experience appreciated.

My experience with spray can Zinc Chromate has been that it does not adhere well enough and if you top coat it the paint will eventually peel. Years ago we used to use a two part epoxy Zinc Chromate that worked pretty good, but even it was not as good as the newer solvent and Skydrol resistant epoxy primers that are readily available.

Anybody have any experience with SS finish over zinc chromate? I'd like to go that route if it'll work. Called SS and they say no/yes/maybe/we don't know if it will work. Your thoughts and experience appreciated.

I would not use an 1 part primer under a 2 part paint system. You just won't get the bite you need/want. I have left all of my exterior untouched and will use epoxy primer followed by SS paint. My partially completed project had a basic rattle can etching primer on most of the interior. I used epoxy primer as the interior paint. Epoxy has a MUCH stronger grip where it went over bare AL. The rattle can primer is the weak link and should be avoided where possible.

My experience is that water based paint is not yet ready for prime time for amateurs. It requires special handling and procedures that are not required for solvent based systems. My paints all have activators and reducers that are tailored to the temp and humidity present. Water-based paints have no such adaptability and require special, learned techniques to accommodate.

Larry

Back