What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Wiring Duckworks 55W

papamike

Well Known Member
I'm having trouble getting my 55W halogen lights to work. I have the white lead connected to power and the back plate grounded locally. I put a 14A power supply to it and I get an alarm for protection. I even connected the power supply directly to the bulb and get nothing. The only way I've ever gotten a bulb to work is putting it directly across my car battery.

The power supply works on everything else and I have to believe 14A is adequate for one of these bulbs.

I tried a brand new H3 bulb and get the same thing.

Does anybody have pictures of their wiring at the back of the light assembly? I gotta believe this is something simple.

Thanks

Halogen bulbs have a very high cold in-rush current surge, probably way beyond your power supply's 14 amp rating. I suspect your power supply sees the cold halogen bulb as a short and goes into an alarm condition to protect itself.

I think a battery would be the best supply for testing a halogen lamp.

...I put a 14A power supply to it and I get an alarm for protection. ...

I started with their 55W Halogen bulbs and changed them to 100 watts when they burned out after three or four years.

Mine are on independent 10 amp circuits with 14 AWG wire with no problems of any kind.

What type of "alarm" are you getting? (I've never heard of this.)

BTW, here is a picture of one of my three schematics:
Repucci%20Schematic%203.7%20main.jpg

Thanks, guys. The alarm I'm referring to is the circuit protection on my power supply.

I'll try this with a battery.

Thanks, guys. The alarm I'm referring to is the circuit protection on my power supply.

I'll try this with a battery.

It will work great with a battery .. I have the 100W version that I'm installing now, and I'm going to need a good power supply that won't crowbar on power up. A standard aircraft (or automotive) lead-acid battery should do the job easily.

Back