What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

First taxi ... with a nice surprise!

ChiefPilot

Well Known Member
Tonight I started the engine for the second time on my -6A project. Goals were to verify alternator performance, P-Mag operation, and check for correct EGT readings on cylinder #1 following a probe replacement. If no problems with those arose, I decided ahead of time that I'd taxi to the run up area and back (perhaps 500' total).

The treat was that I didn't really need to use the brakes to steer - I haven't taxied an RV previously, so was expecting to need to use the brakes. With just a little bit of throttle, I could taxi pretty well with just the rudder. Cool!

You got that excited about a taxi to the run up bay and back? :rolleyes:

I can't wait till you fly her the first time.

Now we expect a big report....pictures, video, lots of pictures......:D

And beware that RV Grin :D

Congratulations Brad! I vividly remember the first taxi tests also!

Re your observation that brakes aren't generally needed for taxiing - many have written that brakes are so important for taxiing. Not my experience. They will be needed for taxiing in crosswinds of more than maybe 15 knots, but even then, only quick jabs.

It's a big deal system function wise

I feel your joy. I felt the same way. Working with many systems, projects etc, over 50 years in aerospace the significance of a controlled first taxi was not lost on me.

Bob Axsom

Last edited:
After five and a half years, I still vividly remember that first start. It was alive! The first flight was so (wonderfully) predictable, and I hope yours is, too. You have a lot of grins ahead. Congratulations!

Bob

"What are working on, Brad?" I say to Brad when he stopped by the hangar last night.

"I'm painting my spinner," he says.

So when I was leaving KSGS and I see his car down at the hangar, I think about stopping by but there was beer waiting at home, which is better than a painted spinner every time.

But a first taxi isn't.

Wanna race tonight?;)

Yes. I can't remember where I read that it is okay to taxi without the AW certificate, but I did read it somewhere.

You also want to make sure your insurance has been upgraded to full flight. The insurance company has made clear to stay off the runway, however, until the full five hours of transition training has been obtained.

I keep all taxi runs under 6 minutes. I need 1 hour of engine ground run time for the DAR (a lot of people fake this, but -- looking back -- if I had, I'd have missed some problems with the engine)and I also wanted to break in the brakes.

I had my inspection on my mini done by the local FSDO and even the FAA inspector requested that i have atleast 1 hour of ground run with some taxi time on it before he came out

Back