What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Repair of Gyros

Martyrv6a

Well Known Member
I have two Gyros, both electric, a RC ALLEN DG and a BF Goodrich AI that need replacement bearings. Does anyone know of a good source for doing the repairs that won't charge for a complete yellow tag overall? This is backup to my Dynon D10A so don't tell me to replace these with all in one boxes. Thanks. Marty

Replacing the bearings requires a complete disassembly of the gyro and the attendant calibration on the rate table after reassembly. Don't know of any reputable shop that would do one with doing the other.

Repair and overhaul

Does anyone have experience, good or bad with Century Instruments?
So far they seem to have the best price to me, but I'm wondering if they have the best value.

Marty

Century has been around for some time. I can't comment on their work as I've never done business with them. In theory, all shops should perform the same work to repair and certify an instrument......I suggest that you call the prospective shops and ask them to detail what they will replace for the price they quote and the details of the warranty. Some shops may quote a price for overhaul which does not include the price of parts used....

Gyro Repair

I have good luck with these folks.

Rudy Aircraft Instruments Inc.
4711 Old Bowman Rd.
Rudy, AR 72952
Phone: 479-474-8759
Fax: 479-474-3306
FAA Cert. #: R1ZR316K

Tru-Trak my brotha!

Groucho, Having "been there, repaired that" twice I finally stores-jetted my old AI in lieu of a TruTrak ADI. Mui Bueno! Simply hook 12V to it and one GPS feed line and you have a huge improvement in capability and technology. I have 250 hours on it so far without a squeak and I dare you to tumble it, no gyros! Even better TT will upgrade you to the Autopilot anytime for the full value of the ADI...

Dos Centavos submitted...

Smokey
HR2

http://www.trutrakflightsystems.com/instruments_ADI.htm

Last edited:
Marty, you dont say which area of the country you are in, but if on the left coast, try the Gyro House , located on the airport at Auburn Ca.

Gyro Repair Cost

It appears, for my electic gyros, the cost can range from $595 to $995 for an overhaul and then if there are parts that are not stardard in the OH package, it would be more. Marty

Back