What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Cell phone adapter

Tailwind/RVGuy

Is anyone using a cell phone adapter with their headset? I know some audio panels and some headsets have Bluetooth connectivity to cell phones but I don't have either one of those. I DO have a Garmin GTR200 com radio with built in intercom with an "audio in" port that works great for me to hear music and also for me to hear the speaker side of a phone call (like dialing up ATIS) but not use the microphone side. I tried using the phone mic by holding the phone close to my mouth but I think it is disabled when I have the audio connected to the phone.

So here is what I would like to do (cheaply) : I would like to somehow connect to my "audio in" plug on my com radio so that I can hear the person I am talking to and they can hear me via the existing intercom. I know there are some headset adaptors (https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/pspages/pilotUSA25.php) that have this but I would rather not have to put anything in-between my headset and the existing panel jacks.

Keith

Thanks Dave for the link. Probably a little more involved than I want to get but a great write up. I may just use my current method of texting my wife and others. For IFR clearances, I will try to see if I can use my cell phone without headset with engine at idle after runup and immediately before takeoff.
Thanks again.
Keith

$140 turns any 2 plug headset into bluetooth.

FARO Stealth Audio Link Sporty's Exclusive! Add Bluetooth to Any Headset

The FARO unit is pretty sweet. It’s only drawback is another cable in the cockpit. My design has been working fine for years, but does require some custom work.

Go for it.

Back