What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Pneumatic Squeezer Trigger

Michael Burbidge

Well Known Member
I bought my Pneumatic Squeezer from Cleveland Tools at the beginning of my first build.

The trigger has always be more like an on/off switch than a controllable trigger. It is very sensitive and is difficult to operate in a way that gradually engages the plunger. It makes for jerky motion.

I got thinking last night as I was installing 116 tank attach nutplates that maybe my squeezer is defective or perhaps it can be adjusted.

Does your squeezer trigger provide gradually control over engagement of the plunger?

Michael-

Mine does, although the range of motion to actuate it *is* small. The long lever on the trigger makes it easier to control the "feathering" of pressure. I find I usually only use the feathering when i'm setting it up for a sequence of rivets, once I have it set i'll run through the line of rivets with pretty much on-off operation.

I took the valve apart at the trigger and changed the angle on the pin that regulates the air. I’ll snap a couple of pics next time I’m at the hangar. Now when I press the trigger slowly, I can modulate the speed it compresses. When the trigger is pressed normally, it works as before.

Feathering

More sensitive feathering would be very useful, particularly when you have to put the shank that moves against the manufactured head, as is the case with installing the tank attach nutplates on the wing spar. The jerky motion makes it easy to have the squeezer move, which can sometimes result in a badly installed rivet.

Feather

Mine also can be feathered but it's a very small range of motion. I've become familiar with it.

Can you say "orifice"?

By installing a (very) small orifice (.025 to .040") near the base of the squeezer, you will get what I call "Oakie Speed Control" - just slows the process down, but not the result. Has worked for me since 1985.

Just Sayin' - YMMV

Mine was like that when I first bought it used. At the time Avery Tools was still open and I took it in and Bob did some magic to it. It is now very featherable, just takes a little practice. So hopefully someone can help find you the right parts or configuration, I have no idea what he did, but it was night and day differant.

I used a rebuild kit on the used CP squeezer I bought many years ago. Mainly gaskets. I think it was from the Yardstore or Brown Tools. Made all the difference and allowed full range feathering. However, I found that if I held any pressure on the ram when I squeezed it would slam closed.

I would be afraid to use it if it’s on/off like that! Mine is very controllable..the on/off is likely to cause holes where you don’t want them.

The first squeezer I purchase was made in China and I experienced the same thing, I thought it was just some inability to grasp the skill on my part.

After some research and figuring out that it wasn't me and twas the squeezer, I purchased one from Cleveland (twice the price of the Chinese tool) and it worked great.

My pneumatic squeezer is absolutely one of my favorite tools, we name him "Nu-Mad" :D

So if you're having trouble, could be the squeezer.

Back