What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Old Dominion Shipping Problems

AlpineYoda

Well Known Member
Patron
My tail / emp kit made it from Portland to Denver (1000 miles) in less than 48 hours. It's been sitting in a warehouse since yesterday morning less than 30 miles from my house. Finally got a call from the local people a few minutes ago. They can't deliver it until sometime next week.

So, 44 hours to go 1000 miles
5 to 8 MORE DAYS to go 30 miles

If I have any choice, I will never use OD for my Van's parts again.

Has anyone else had a similar experience?

((And yes, I know I misspelled Dominion. Was typing too quickly and can't fix a title.)) [Fixed it! s/rv7boy :) ]

Last edited by a moderator:
They were quick and easy for me. I'm certain I got my stuff all the way to Hawaii faster than that, probably under 2 weeks. That's surprising.

If you are in a rush do you have the means to pick it up from the local distribution center? I did that with a very large bathroom mirror. Think it was OD, but not sure.

I had my fuselage kit shipped from Vans to Los Angeles on Old Dominion and asked The Vans folks to set it for “will call” at the terminal. Not only did I have it in 48 hours but I also saved $150 vs local delivery to a residence. Even if you have to rent a trailer for the day it is still cheaper.

I would offer to do a terminal pickup. In fact I always insist on terminal pickup with any LTL carrier. Not only for schedule, which is nice, but to avoid damage. My experience has been that 80 to 90 percent of damage happens on the local delivery route, not over the road (OTR) between terminals. The local driver(s) have to shuffle loads around a lot depending on where they stop prior to you. They also seem to drop a lot of crates if a lift gate isn't specified or usable for a long package. The OTR trucks have fixed loads that aren't handled en route. So take a trailer with you to a terminal pick up and avoid the local delivery route. At the terminal they can run a forklift down a ramp to load your crate in the yard and if you have a car carrier type utility trailer without rails they can even load you sideways. They do enough of this kind of thing and have the knack. Terminal managers many times like terminal pick ups as it simplifies their local deliveries.

Tips:

Ask shipper to stipulate "terminal pickup" with your cell phone number on the notation.

Don't sign the bill of lading paperwork until you are allowed to inspect the freight. The preferred trick with the terminal (and local delivery guy) is to have you sign first thing to release their liability. This makes it hard to refuse delivery. Just tell them you don't sign until you look it over and they will oblige. This also sends a signal that you're not a newbie.

If your shipment has major damage refuse delivery right at the dock. By refusing delivery the goods have effectively never been in your possession it goes back to the shipper. Then it is up to the carrier and shipper to straighten things out, keeping you out of any insurance paperwork.

Good luck. You still have tomorrow.

Jim

Yes, see if you can go pick it up. It may even be better than a residential delivery--they've put my kits right in the back of my truck and I could back it up to my shop and unload right there, instead of trying to drag it up the driveway. Not to mention that I didn't need to take off work or meet a driver; I just swung by after work. I don't know if it ever saved me any money doing it that way, but it was far less hassle.

If you have a truck or a trailer, go for it. You might have to wait a few minutes at the terminal but it's better than waiting days...

Same here, I picked up all of my kits at the terminal. The way to go for sure (unless you aren't equipped for it). I also ended up offloading all of them by myself just due to timing. Luckily I have an ATV ramp, so that was pretty easy as well.

Another member of VAF (great bunch of people here!!) very generously offered to lend me his pickup since we just have a couple of cars. But when he looked it up and saw the crate is 11 feet long, he realized it wouldn't fit. I thought about getting a UHaul truck, but now I'm taking time out of work and incurring more costs and hassles. And would need to manually unload the entire 310 pound crate to get it back out. I guess I'm stuck just waiting until next week.

I will definitely be looking for another shipping option for the next several big pieces.

Back