What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Rituals and superstitions

stevemcgirr

Well Known Member
Yesterday, in the eyes of the FAA, N1991M was elevated from building project to airplane. Now that my plane has airworthy status, I turn to planning for the test flights of Phase 1. I am rather new to aviation (a test pilot will be flying my plane at first), so I am not as steeped in the traditions, lore and tribal knowledge of you more experienced aviators.
So help me out: what are the necessary rituals, practices, superstitions and talismans that insure a successful first flight, flight testing, and long and happy flying service of a new airplane?
AC 90-89A is helpful for the serious preparations, but says nothing about rabbit's feet, lucky charms, or clover. (Horse shoes seem rather heavy)

Let me in on the secret handshake! What do I need?

What you need is...

Steve,

It's december in Oregon, you need clear skies! Hopefully Salem is in your phase 1 area. Fly up and show off your baby! Congratulations

Kai

Rituals and Superstitions......

........Try logic and science! And a calm disposition, if your the type to panic in a sitiuation that happen unexpected, best to let someone else test it farther.

what are the necessary rituals, practices, superstitions and talismans that insure a successful first flight, flight testing, and long and happy flying service of a new airplane?

To ensure success, you must ship a case of good quality local ale to:

Perry Hill Automobile Company
1000 Perry Hill Road
Montgomery AL 36109

I'll take care of the rest ;)

Rituals and Superstitions......

....This is very important!!! :rolleyes:
First and foremost, you need to have the airplane kissed on the spinner by three virgin albino super models all at the same time (engine off). All that other stuff people claim brings good luck is all a bunch of hooey and makes no difference. Glad to be of help. Allan...:D:D
P.S. If you can't find three of them, installing lots of Anti-Splats products will have the same effect.
Congratulations are in order!!!

Science and logic I have in abundance. What I was hoping for was that romantic extra edge: like the cigar Will Smith brought with him to ensure that his missions ended successfully in the movie "Independence Day" ("the fat lady"), or like the peanuts on the counter at NASA, or cosmonauts asking permission of the ghost of Yuri Gagarin prior to leaving Space City for Baikonur cosmodrome.

And don't worry, I ask in jest. My pre-flight prep will rival Ironflight's, I promise.

(DanH- my choice would be to bring Deschutes Black Butte Porter to Montgomery, next time I'm there if that's OK)

Hmmm. Beeman's. I like it...

I have this on my panel:

2012-12-11123327.jpg

loosely translates to "stay calm"

Read this if you read no other!

Schedule a good session with an EAA Flight Advisor!

Should be mandatory!

I'd go with the Beeman's, but Juicy Fruit will do in a pinch. ;)

Congrats, fly safe, and try not to think about the fact that Cosmonauts have to pee on the right rear tire of the bus that takes them out to the launch pad (the bus stops first!).....

Paul

Chuckling here, because I've somehow connected Dan's suggestion (well-played sir) with Paul's description of the Comonauts. Hopefully there's no cause and effect relationship there, eh! :p

A ritual of mine is to check the oil cap twice. Secure it, then start to close the door, then stop and re-check. Dun it since I was a student pilot, and it became sort of a "just gotta do it every time" thang. Silly perhaps, but so far no oil on any windscreen (knocks on wood heard in background).

Reading the last line in Mike S's signature block is a winner too!

(And don't forget...enjoy the ride!!) :D

Cheers,
Bob

....This is very important!!! :rolleyes:
First and foremost, you need to have the airplane kissed on the spinner by three virgin albino super models all at the same time (engine off). All that other stuff people claim brings good luck is all a bunch of hooey and makes no difference. Glad to be of help. Allan...:D:D
P.S. If you can't find three of them, installing lots of Anti-Splats products will have the same effect.
Congratulations are in order!!!

You need to hurry and follow this advice...once the 3 "Virgin Super Models" are introduced to the RV crowd they can only be called "Super Models"... Kinda like after the US Navy visits the Virgin Islands after which the name is changed to simply "The Islands".. :D

Be safe and big congrats Steve, its been fun watching your progress! Some good bourbon or scotch and a cigar will definitely be waiting for me at my hangar when I finish my first flight. :)

Thank you Ron. Your blog was a major motivator for me. I most appreciated your account of unusual attitude and spin training. That is now definately in my future, based on your report.

I recommend your website to anyone building or considering.

See you soon in Colorado. Speyside, please...

Anti-jinx

While instructing at AF Pilot training, it was traditional to tell the students just before they went out on their first T-38 solo that we had plenty of marshmallows and sticks ready for their return, so they shouldn't worry about us being prepared. Unofficially, the Instructors generally assumed about a 50% improvement in ability just due to the survival instinct.
Clay "Cookie Monster" Cook

Congrats Steve! Very exciting!

Have you watched Chad Jensen's webinar on flight testing? He can also send you some flight test data cards in Word format that you can customize for your plane.

Good luck. I'm looking forward to a first flight report!

Oh, forgot to mention... I can't give any "lucky charm" other than the "good luck" wish because it's bad luck to be superstitious! ;-)

Last edited:
you need to have the airplane kissed on the spinner by three virgin albino super models all at the same time (engine off). Congratulations are in order!!!

Albinos are certainly hard to find, but I've heard "virgin supermodels" is a contradiction in terms. :D

Back