What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Back Drill Through Nutplate Tips?

raabs

Well Known Member
Recieved my -10 Areosport 310 finished panel from panel builder. Looks great but the aluminum backing panel holes to attach it to the -10 panel mounting flanges are about 1/8" too high. Nutplate are installed on the flanges.

I think I"ll slot two backing panel holes and position it correctly and then was thinking to backdrill through the other 15 or so nutplates with a small drill bit and then drill new holes to correct size.

Any tips on back drilling through nutplates to avoid damaging nutplate threads? Thought I read something on VAF but cant find it.

Transfer Punch

Personally, I'd use a transfer punch to locate the center of the new holes rather than risk damaging the nutplate threads. Google "transfer punch use".

Cheers, David
RV-6A A&P

I have back drilled thru nutplates, mainly because there was no other easy access to do it otherwise and it did not cause any issues to the nutplates. There was 12 of them and not a single one was damaged. I believe I used #30 bit which fit perfectly to center the hole and then enlarged to the correct size.

Transfer punch is probably the best choice if you have room / access to use it. You can make special use transfer punch out of an 6-32 or 8-32 ( or whatever size) allen head set screw installed into the nut plate , apply some pressure or a light tap and the socket head scar marks the exact spot to drill .

Transfer punch is probably the best choice if you have room / access to use it. You can make special use transfer punch out of an 6-32 or 8-32 ( or whatever size) allen head set screw installed into the nut plate , apply some pressure or a light tap and the socket head scar marks the exact spot to drill .

This is a great idea. Tapping a set screw slightly sticking out of the nutplate would mark it perfectly.

Thanks All!

Brass tubes

A good hardware store or some hobby stores sell brass or aluminum tubes that vary in sizes at 1/32" increments. Find one that slips into the nutplate and cut it to length so that the corresponding size of drill bit fits in it. You can easily drill center with a small bit and then upsize it.

Dave A.
6A

Back