What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Headset problem

jsenft

Well Known Member
I have two older headsets. One headset work perfectly fine. The other headset, nothing. I know the headset is good because I use it in a c172 all the time. I thought I read something about only certain types of headsets work in the standard wiring in the rv-12. Can someone shed some light on this problem.

What happens when the headsets are switched between the pilot and copilot sides? Does one set not work no matter which side it is on?
Are they different brands? A friend tried his new headset in my RV-12 with a D-180 and SL40 and it would not work for some reason. I assumed the two different brand headsets were not compatible with each other.
Joe Gores

Did you check both mono & stereo modes on the headsets?

One of my older headsets will only work in stereo mode on one aircraft but stereo on the other.

So far we have found this on seven headsets
1. David Clark------no sound
2. Halo--------------no sound
3. Bose-------------no sound
4. Peltor------------very weak
5. ASA--------------very weak
6. Lightspeed-------Normal
7. Softcom----------Normal
Radio and intercom volumes were turned up to maximum. Tried headsets on both sides of cockpit with the same results. Headset volumes were also at maximum. I am a zero when it comes to avionics so what gives? Vans says that they only have lightspeed headsets.

I am currently flying a Bose and used to fly with various DCs before that. I had also tried a LightSpeed Zulu once but didn't find it to be that great (not starting a war, just my first impression).
I have the SkyView/Flightcom 401 combination with the Garmin radio in my -12.

There are many weird audio problems with the Rv12 that have not been thoroughly solved. There are seeming issues with if the headset is stereo or mono and what the switch position is in.

There are issues with the 403 intercom in ISOLATE position actually locking out the pilot instead of the passenger. Although the wiring to the plug on back of the intercom seems correct.

There are issues with the Skyview audio alerts being almost inaudible in flight except for the AOA beeping.

I bought a bare mic plug and headset stereo plug and used an ohmmeter to trace each lead to the intercom and to ground. Jacks installed exactly per plans. Got some weird inconsistent results but no time to figure it out. Maybe this winter...

If you search around there are a lot of questions but no definitive answers.

My mono Dave Clark (with Headsets Inc ANR module) and a Softcomm non-ANR for the passenger work OK.

There are issues with whether you have the original wiring with Skyview conversion harnesses or wiring designed for Skyview.

Lots of us are waiting for someone to figure it all out! Dive in!

My D-180 equipped '12 has never had an audio problem. Worked fine right from the beginning. I have had a radio (SL-40) failure, but no audio issues.

The headset that works is stereo and the headset the doesn't work is mono. Looks like I am buying a new headset. The mono headset is from the early 80's maybe it is time for a new one.

So far we have found this on seven headsets
1. David Clark------no sound
2. Halo--------------no sound
3. Bose-------------no sound
4. Peltor------------very weak
5. ASA--------------very weak
6. Lightspeed-------Normal
7. Softcom----------Normal
Radio and intercom volumes were turned up to maximum. Tried headsets on both sides of cockpit with the same results. Headset volumes were also at maximum. I am a zero when it comes to avionics so what gives? Vans says that they only have lightspeed headsets.

I use Halo's and they work just fine for me.

The headset that works is stereo and the headset the doesn't work is mono. Looks like I am buying a new headset. The mono headset is from the early 80's maybe it is time for a new one.

First go down to Radio Shack and buy a stereo plug to mono jack adaptor for a few dollars, see if that fixes it.
When you plug a mono plug into a stereo jack you short out the right channel. A good intercom won't care, but maybe yours does. Also, if you swapped left and right channels on just one jack, then plugged in two mono headsets, both channels will be shorted out.

Edit: Also, are you sure the stereo headset works in both ears?

Any solution found for the headset problems?

I have a standard Dynon HDX set-up (European version) from mid 2021 (wiring designed for skyview) and I get very strange results with the audio volume, barely audible with some headsets/set up and too loud with others. Too loud is fine as I can lower the volume but right now I cannot use the headsets with too low volume. The plane is not flying yet but this is what I get in terms of volume on the headsets:

Dynon potentiometers have been set up to max, dynon software audio setup also to 100%. Radio receive volume to max. Intercom volume max.

David Clark W/ANR: On the pilot side radio RX volume barely gets through on any set-up, I get higher volume with the intercom off. On the copilot side I get nothing with intercom off and 150% of normal volume on any set up with the intercom on.

FlightCom headset: Pilot side: With intercom off volume is correct but with intercom off I get about 20% of what it should be (all settings on max). On the copilot side I get nothing with intercom off but too loud volume on any intercom ON setting.

Halo headset/stereo setting: Pilot side: Too loud with intercom off, too low with intercom on. On co-pilot side barely anything with intercom off and extremely high volume with intercom ON (except ISO setting on intercom).

Halo headset/mono setting: Pilot side: Nothing with intercom off, barely anything with intercom ON. Co-pilot side, nothing with intercom off or ON on ISO but extremely high volume on the other intercom settings.

As things stands I can only use the DC headsets on the copilot side with the intercom ON, the Flight Com on the pilot side (but only with intercom off) and co-pilot side (only with intercom ON) and the Halo headsets on the pilot side with intercom OFF on stereo mode only or on the co-pilot side if intercom is ON.

Any ideas on direction I should take to improve things? All the wiring connections look fine to me and the three headsets work fine on 4 other different aircrafts I have tested.

Attachments

• IMG-8930.jpg
    IMG-8930.jpg
    503.4 KB · Views: 30
Back