What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Vetterman small exhaust system

koda2

Well Known Member
Anyone flying an O-360 with the newer Vettermans 1 1/2" tubing. Performance or other issues?

Dave A.
6 build

HI Dave, We have quite a few of the 1.5" exhausts out and flying. All of the performance numbers are on vettermanexhaust.com. We have been very impressed with the performance, and all around aspects of the exhaust. This is the exhaust that Larry is running on his 7A. Give us a call if you have any questions, we like to talk airplanes! Clint Busenitz/ Vetterman Exhaust (605) 891-1290

I have the 4 pipe 1.5" system on the -8, expect it will just fine.

Had the same pipes on the -7A, it trued out a couple knots faster than Vans numbers for the -7A.

Go for it, it's a good exhaust system. Unlike the trike vrs tail wheel discussion, opinions on this subject are worth considering. :)

David,
I just ordered the 4 pipe system and was told it only comes in the 1.75" size. Only the crossover was available in the 1.5 inch size. Did I get some bad information?

David,
I just ordered the 4 pipe system and was told it only comes in the 1.75" size. Only the crossover was available in the 1.5 inch size. Did I get some bad information?

I will measure it again and get back to you.

I'm back. I screwed up the measurement this morning - they are 1.75". As they say, measure twice cut once, it applies here also. :(

Last edited:
Hours?

David,
How many hours did you get on the 1.5" system? Did yours have the mufflers installed?
What I was really wondering was, if any one had accumulated lots of hours on the system.

Although I am still trying to get my head around the concept that restricting airflow cross-sectional area by 25%, increases performance, the added performance noted on the dyno tests is really not as important to me as longevity and no long-term adverse affects on the engine.

Also, even if performance wasn't a factor, the smaller pipes and lighter weights (2lbs) are a positive in a crowded engine compartment.

If it is as good or better than the original Vetterman system it is a winner.

Dave A.

As far as longevity is concerned, none of the 1.5" systems have been flying long enough to have high time. We are convinced that the 1.5" system is actually stronger then the standard system because we use a very short piece of .049 tubing to make the transition from 1.75 at the flange to 1.5" for the primary pipes. The weld at the flange is the weak point for any exhaust system so having the .049 there is a beef up.
The basic design of the 1.5" system is exactly the same as the 1.75" "original" system, of which there are several thousand flying, so we expect good service life.
As to the performance increase, the smaller pipes make the exhaust gas speed up, which improves scavenging, up to the point where there is simply too much exhaust gas for the pipe to handle (over 2700 rpm)

Hi Clint:

Any reason that the smaller tubes can't be used to build the rest of the systems?

I have 6A with a O-320 equipped with a Superior cold air intake. Will the small tube systems be offered in the future?

I'm looking for a crossover system.

The exhaust is the next thing on the list, but I can wait a while yet if it will be offered in the future.

Terry

Last edited:
Don't forget the 0-233/0-235!!

Clint,
Is there any chance Vettermans will have a re-think about the smaller engines sometime in the future?
I had one of your 1 3/4" systems on my 0-235 9a and when I heard about the 1 1/2", I grabbed a set off you. Now that Vetterman's have found the small pipes work so well on the larger engines, it makes sense that smaller than 1 1/2" pipes would work better for the LSA 0-233, as well as some more weight saving.

Bob

HI Terry, we may consider building other model of exhausts using 1.5" tubing, and can build certain models on a special order basis.
As far as using smaller than 1.5" for the 0-233/0-235, the amount of weight savings would be less then a half pound of weight I would guess.

Testing in progress

Exhaust gas flow and sound wave coming out of the port is super sonic. Some of the theories I have researched and implemented showed bigger is not always better. I ask Larry to make up these adapter test tubes for me. This allowed me to manipulate exhaust port velocity @ the head with different inserts. Here?s one of them that I tested and showed possibilities with a 2?3% of power increase with one of the test headers here @ my facility.

Last edited:
Back