What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

LP4 vs. AN270AD4

dbhill916

Well Known Member
Hi folks,

Does anyone know where I could find some information regarding the relative strengths of the pull rivets vs the squeezed rivets cited above? I am curious about what prompted the design team to specify one vs. the other. As far as I can tell, the major criterion seems to be whether you can get a 3 in squeezer yoke into position or not.

The other reason I'm asking is that I had a 4-4 rivet cleat badly when I squeezed it as per 10-06 step 6. The drilling out did not go well and I ended up with an enlarged hole. Per The Book, I drilled it to the next size up and used a 5/32 pull rivet from the local hardware store. Is that acceptable, or should I find a source of AN270AD5 rivets instead and replace the pulled rivet?

Thanks in advance,
-dbh

The LP4 rivet has a shear strength of 162 lbs and tensile strength of 236 lbs. hard to tell what the hardware store rivet's strength is without more data.

As long as the replacement is as strong no problem however going up a size often introduces edge clearance issues. The failure mode then runs the risk of tear out of the underlying sheet versus actual rivet failure.

Back