What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-12 wing movement

John Foy

After 42 hours we grabbed the wing by the grab handle and noticed a slight for and aft movement. Was the same on both wings. Anyone else noticed this?
John Foy #120123

Same here!

Ditto Here. Do you have the wing seals on. I dont but I think with them on it may take care of the problem.

Ours DO NOT have the wing seals, and have no such movement. Can you see inside the plane where the movement could be coming from? Is there too much space between the brass bushings or something? With the pins in and both wings attached, both wings should be pretty solidly mounted.

Fore - Aft wing play

My left wing had fore - aft play. The right wing did not. Just a few thousandths play at the wing root will be amplified at the wing tip. The rubber seal can not be depended upon to eliminate the play. Over time, the seal will compress. I riveted a doubler against the aft side of the rear stub spar so that the doubler is up against the fuselage skin. I will take a picture next time I am at the airport.
Joe

After 42 hours we grabbed the wing by the grab handle and noticed a slight for and aft movement. Was the same on both wings. Anyone else noticed this?
John Foy #120123

We see this a lot in sailplanes that have similar systems for reacting drag and thrust loads on the wings. Most gliders have a little bit of play.

It helps to quantify the play, but given the relative limberness of the landing gear it's not an easy thing to do accurately. It's hard to tell when you've used up the play and are deflecting the gear or pivoting the nosewheel. The general tendency is to overestimate how much play there is.

Probably the easiest thing to do is have someone else wiggle the wingtip while you watch the wing-to-fuselage fittings to see how much relative movement there is. That'll give you an idea of what's going on and how bad it is.

Thanks, Bob K.

Eliminate wing fore - aft play

Here is a picture of the doubler that I riveted to the wing rear stub spar to eliminate fore-aft movement of the wing tip. It is the gray colored part with 3 rivets.
Joe
DSCN4544.JPG

Back