What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV 14 WIKI Changes

HAL Pilot

Well Known Member
Hi Folks

If you are not familiar with this project, the downside of the way VAF threads work is that you have to do word searches for topics vs. being able to visually look at a page on the plans and seeing hey here's all the issues folks had on this page. I have gone through all the RV-14 threads and made that visual search possible on a PDF version of the plans, plus added in all the service bulletins and changes.

I am enclosing a page grab of my solution, see below.

On this page I added a picture of the "right" end of the rudder cable for the back end. The salmon colored boxes are hyperlinks to threads about that issue. Additional notes were added with callout boxes. But wait there's more! There are now 2 different sets of plans for this page from Vans! One Pre service bulletin 18-09-17 and a different page that has the new parts being shipped with "post" SB kits.

The Idea is to make a one stop shop for builders. This is not trying to take away from VAF or Vans aircraft but to synergize the 2 into a better product for all. BTW I have offered to both the option to host and run this but have not had interest shown. Hopefully in the future someone will take it over so if I "fly west" it wont take the concept down as I believe it is helpful.

I have been recuperating from a torn meniscus surgery so lots of down time to work on the "wiki" I am in the process of updating the links and in some cases moving them to a more logical location.

If a topic is about a specific part, I am moving it to that page. If its more generic I have created pages with links that are under categories like General construction and then shop setup, Engine, swap out items and on and on. So some of your items if you have admin rights might have moved, specifically the thumbdrive folder is now incorporated in the main files, so is gone.

So if you have copies on your computer there will be some changes. please bear with me while I sift through the final QC check.

When I started this there was a lot of links I did not know where to put. Now I have a better idea hence the upgrade.

The drop box link for read only access is in my signature. If you are Adobe PDF smart and want to have admin access to change and add items send me a PM.

Enjoy

Attachments

• Wiki example.png
    Wiki example.png
    265.7 KB · Views: 430
It’s been an invaluable resource for me. I go through each new section and read (re-read) all the linked threads before I start. Thanks for your initiative.

Same here; invaluable resource. This, VAF, and a handful of the best builder sites save Vans a lot of tech support work.

I haven't started my -14 yet but I've been reading through the wiki (I also bought USB plans) and have learned a lot.. plenty of little things to look out for that I would have probably made mistakes on the first time through, now I'll just make mistakes elsewhere ;)

Really though, thank you for keeping up on this great resource.

Last edited:
SOP for starting a section:
1)check dwg revisions on both the revisions page and download page on Vans site. Always check both, I’ve seen revisions on one and not the other.
2)read through the Wiki.
Thank you Pete

I am using Adobe acrobat to create the PDFs I would recommend trying adobe reader if your current reader does not work with the hyperlinks. Any one else using different PDF Readers can chime in with what works for them.

Dang. I just downloaded the latest WIKI. :)
Will eagerly await the upgraded version.
Thanks much Pete!

BruceW This is an old thread that I was replying to. There is no new WIKI grand update coming. However I continually tweak and update the current one. I recommend using the wiki plans directly off of the wiki that way you will get the latest changes as you get to the page you are working on.

Back