What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Real world turbulence PIREP

sloengineer

I’ve never flown behind a Garmin touch only product. We are close to pulling the avionics trigger and I’m looking for real world experience related to either the touch navigators or G3X.

We did the GNS430 to IFD440 swap on our C172 and I find myself using the knobs and buttons most of the time. Especially in choppy IMC.

How usable is the Garmin touch only interface in real world chop?

We really wanted to go all Garmin, but the touch only interface is a second thought.

pirep

I have the G3X touch suite in my -10.

Haven't had more than light chop so far but it hasn't been an issue with the touch screens. I find that rest a finger or two on the Bezel helps stabilize your presses but the touch points are large enough that it really isn't an issue. Obviously, in smooth air it is no issue at all.

That said. I opted for a standard audio panel and a/p control head as that is what I am used to. All those functions are also available on the touch screen, as well...

Gtn-650

I frequently fly right seat in the local flying club’s GTN-650 equipped aircraft. I’m right handed, so operate the 650’s touch screen left handed. Any kind of turbulence, and I hit the wrong place 30% of the time. Yes, I try to use the ‘shelf’. I use the knobs whenever I can. Put me into the ‘touch-screen haters’ group.

GTN 650 in my Rocket and I fly in rough air a bunch. Have not figured out an effective way to deal with it yet except to wait for the bumps to stop so I can plug in the command. The knobs are still valuable to me.

Can be a real challenge

to hit the right space in turbulence -----my AFS touch screen has lots of buttons and knobs, so I can generally get it right -- but the G650 can be a little frustrating. I will default to my G430, sometimes.

Ron

I prefer Dynon to Garmin, but still fly the touch glass - and as mentioned earlier in turbulence it's helpful to anchor your hand on the perimeter of the screen frame in order to place a finger where you want it on the screen. I'm not familiar with the Garmin glass frame but the Dynon HDX has a nice upraised edge for that purpose.

Went dual G3X Touch + GTN 650 (then 650Xi), GTX 345, GTR 200.

I regularly fly in places with continuous light to moderate chop (KLBB) and have never missed an icon or button push. The bezel on the G3X is easy to hold on to as is the GTN 650xi.

Thanks for all the feedback! Keep it coming. I'd really like to see how the barometer is moving on this issue. Basically where I stand is, if I go with the IFD for my certified navigator, I'll probably go Dynon/AFS. If I go GNX375 I'd go all Garmin.

Thanks for all the feedback! Keep it coming. I'd really like to see how the barometer is moving on this issue. Basically where I stand is, if I go with the IFD for my certified navigator, I'll probably go Dynon/AFS. If I go GNX375 I'd go all Garmin.

I recently upgraded from the Garmin 430W to the IFD440 - and my experience has been entirely positive. The IFD is VERY intuitive to operate and you can quickly update a flight plan enroute.

Back