What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Starting an RV8

D Weisgerber

Well Known Member
I just ordered an RV8 tail kit last Friday. I finished an RV6 in 1997, the only thing that was pre punched was the wing skins. I'm looking forward to building a kit that is pre punched. I'm going to take my time to build since I have my RV6 to fly while building. I'm also planning all the changes that I want to make before I build it. The big changes are sky designs landing gear, a James cowl, and I want to make it easy to get behind the instrument panel to work on it.

Note that there are a couple different schools of thought on the tower modification. Some people open up the area between the lower two lightening holes and add a oval cover over the while thing. I went with the option of cutting the interior face into three sections, making the entire center portion of the tower the removable access cover. Attachment is handled simply by adding doublers at the top and bottom joints, and turning the -4 rivet holes along the angles into screw attachment holes.

Some relevant posts from my build log:
https://rv.squawk1200.net/2015/05/04/priming-right-gear-tower-modification/
https://rv.squawk1200.net/2015/05/18/priming-and-gear-tower-assembly/

IMG_5838.jpg

I just ordered an RV8 tail kit last Friday. I finished an RV6 in 1997, the only thing that was pre punched was the wing skins. I'm looking forward to building a kit that is pre punched. I'm going to take my time to build since I have my RV6 to fly while building. I'm also planning all the changes that I want to make before I build it. The big changes are sky designs landing gear, a James cowl, and I want to make it easy to get behind the instrument panel to work on it.

If you are planning to put 1 or more 10in EFIS displays in, panel access is a none issues. I have access through the luggage compartment that I've never once opened. From the panel, it's 6 screws and one plug to take out the display and you can access everything.

Thinks I like:

- Tuckey Tanks - or some combination for long range
- Grove Airfoil gear
- Aveo Engineering Zip Tips
- Tower mod
- I'm partial to horizontal intake and the smooth stock cowl
- Upgraded rear pedals - can't imagine using what Vans sells.
- Show plane fast back (slider or tip over), but love the stock 8, too.

I'm sure there are others, but these come to mine.

Last edited:
If you are planning to put 1 or more 10in EFIS displays in, panel access is a none issues. I have access through the luggage compartment that I've never once opened. From the panel, it's 6 screws and one plug to take out the display and you can access everything.

Thinks I like:

- Tuckey Tanks - or some combination for long range
- Grove Airfoil gear
- Aveo Engineering Zip Tips
- Tower mod
- I'm partial to vertical intake and the smooth stock cowl
- Upgraded rear pedals - can't imagine using what Vans sells.
- Show plane fast back (slider or tip over), but love the stock 8, too.

I'm sure there are others, but these come to mine.

Yes, I'd definitely add the Hotel Whiskey extended range tanks. They only get you about an hour of flight, but for many of my x-countries, that's the difference between one stop and no stops, not to mention you can tanker cheap fuel and save a few bucks

I'm going to look into the Hotel Whiskey or Tuckey tanks. I did just find out that my tail kit will be here Saturday. I just finished setting up my shop and ordered some more tools. I still have my tools from my RV6 build but I needed more Clecos, some #30 and #40 drill bits, and other assorted misc tools about $400 worth.

I just got my RV8 tail kit today. I inventoried it and laid out the parts to start. It is much nicer having it pre punched, I built my RV6 before most parts were pre punched.

Now just imagine all these RV-14 builders who will never know the joy of match drilling...

I'm going to look into the Hotel Whiskey or Tuckey tanks. I did just find out that my tail kit will be here Saturday. I just finished setting up my shop and ordered some more tools. I still have my tools from my RV6 build but I needed more Clecos, some #30 and #40 drill bits, and other assorted misc tools about $400 worth.

It looks like Pat Tuckey's website with his diagrams is no longer up. I took a copy them years ago and can send them to you if you would like. Let me know via PM or email. Pat used original skins. I think I will probably build them more like how Mike Stewart built them. There other ER iterations that are similar if you look around. 60 gal in an RV8 would be the ideal balance - bladder, duration, distance etc. IMO. So adding 10-12 gal per side would do.

Last edited:
Can you post a link to the rear pedals that you mentioned? I am about at the stage I need to work on the interior of the fuselage now.

Thanks.

http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=121744&page=2

I have the engineering drawings for these that Craig was kind enough to send me. I've also had a local shop quote making them. The price wasn't unreasonable, but I don't have it handy. The price went down with quantity, so I was actually thinking of having a number of sets made if there was enough interest here on VAF. They wouldn't be hard to make on your own - time vs money and you would have to have some reasonable welding skills. Send me a PM or email if you have interest in either.

Brian

Last edited:
Next Tuesday will be 4 weeks since I started my tail kit, I finished it yesterday. I ordered my wing kit but I?m thinking about ordering my fuselage kit to, I?m hoping to save money on shipping if I have both shipped together.

Next Tuesday will be 4 weeks since I started my tail kit, I finished it yesterday. I ordered my wing kit but I?m thinking about ordering my fuselage kit to, I?m hoping to save money on shipping if I have both shipped together.

Would love to see some pics of your tail if you have any.

I just called Grove about landing gear, they don't make RV8 landing gear anymore. I did call skydesigns, they make an airfoil shaped RV8 landing gear. I'll order from them when I get ready to order my finish kit.

I ordered my fuselage to be shipped with my wing kit. I also got on the waiting list for a James cowl, which is about 6 month waiting time. I did find out that Van's is now charging sales tax for orders from Michigan.

Build sequence

I purchased the tail kit and I am excited to get started. After searching for a while I figured this is probably the right thread to post this question.

Has anyone moved on to the fuselage after building the tail? I read the plans suggest doing the wings second, but they will literally sit in my garage until the project is much closer to moving to the airport. Could just be in my head but I feel the project will go much better if I moved onto the QB fuselage once tail is complete.

Thanks in advance for any input!

Also, if you live near a Jacksonville FL please reach out. I am moving 2 miles away from KCRG

Has anyone moved on to the fuselage after building the tail? I read the plans suggest doing the wings second, but they will literally sit in my garage until the project is much closer to moving to the airport. Could just be in my head but I feel the project will go much better if I moved onto the QB fuselage once tail is complete.

So either the wings sit in your shop or the fuselage does.
With the wings done and sitting in a cradle on casters it?s pretty easy to move them out of the way if you need to. They?re essentially half the length of your fuselage when you have them sitting side by side. IMHO the fuselage would be harder to move around since it?s longer. Of course once you get it on the gear you could easily roll it out and impress your neighbors :D. You mention getting a QB fuselage, so your wings would be sitting for a shorter time. Either way, finishing kit (canopy and fiberglass work), engine and avionics/wiring will take a while unless you farm that work out.

I can?t wait to impress the neighbors! Sounds like I should just do what Van?s suggests. Yea I plan on QB fuselage to save some time but slow build wings to save some money. Thanks for input.

I've been making some progress. It's painted, I have most of the wiring done, and my interior will be here next month. I just ordered an ACK ELT E-04, I'm hoping It's compatible with the Safefly 2020 GPS I have installed on my GRT Horizon 10.1.

Attachments

• Weisgerber3.pdf
    451.4 KB · Views: 236
  • IMG_1008.jpg
    IMG_1008.jpg
    288.8 KB · Views: 281
  • IMG_1025.jpg
    IMG_1025.jpg
    333.9 KB · Views: 282
I got my Airworthiness Certificate on Friday 7/23/2021, the weather wasn't good on Saturday so I waited until today Sunday 7/25/2021 for the first flight. The first flight went well I just needed to adjust the fuel flow settings on the GRT Horizon and I had a static line come loose (airspeed was reading high). Looking forward to flying again tomorrow.

I got my Airworthiness Certificate on Friday 7/23/2021, the weather wasn't good on Saturday so I waited until today Sunday 7/25/2021 for the first flight. The first flight went well I just needed to adjust the fuel flow settings on the GRT Horizon and I had a static line come loose (airspeed was reading high). Looking forward to flying again tomorrow.
Congrats Dave! Looking forward to hearing about your test flights. That was a really fast build!

Back