What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Pumpkin Bombing

BHunt

Well Known Member
There were threads of other people asking about pumpkin bombing in RVs, but no real answers. Has anyone been able to pull this off?

This reminds me of a Gordon Baxter (Flying Mag) classic on STO'ing a stovepipe on a Cub to eject a cat at increasing altitudes to settle a bet on the survivability of the cat. Seems like a pumpkin would be more cooperative than a terrified cat making this a simple project.

Tom Martin installed a spear onto his wingtip that is hinged around a central bolt and held up by a car door central locking solenoid. The pumpkin is pushed onto the spear and the door lock retracted to drop the pumpkin which rotates the spear under its own weight until the pumpkin falls free.

From his post here...
2u4k8ph.jpg

Read your operating limitations closely.....

Latest version of operating limitations include the following statement:

15. This aircraft is prohibited from flight with any externally mounted equipment unless the equipment is mounted in a manner that will prevent in-flight jettison.

15. This aircraft is prohibited from flight with any externally mounted equipment unless the equipment is mounted in a manner that will prevent in-flight jettison.

That's kind of a show-stopper...

I can launch small pumpkins out of this device. :D

PS. Local FSDO came to look at it and put me back in phase 1 for 5 hours.

Hmmm. Since the FARs permit dropping objects as long as there's no danger to people/property, shouldn't this be parsed with an FAA-legalese-filter? That sounds like you can't jettison *the equipment*. That would not be the same as dropping 'objects'.

Not trying to be glib; there have been numerous instances where the FAA's language meant something completely different to them from what it would seem to mean to the average Joe upon 1st seeing it.

Last edited:
Hmmm. Since the FARs permit dropping objects as long as there's no danger to people/property, shouldn't this be parsed with an FAA-legalese-filter? That sounds like you can't jettison *the equipment*. That would not be the same as dropping 'objects'.

Not trying to be glib; there have been numerous instances where the FAA's language meant something completely different to them than what it would seem to mean to the average Joe upon 1st seeing it.
Seems like it. It would be a real stretch (IMHO) to call a pumpkin "equipment", any more than you would a roll of toilet paper. I think the pumpkin would be an "external load" and the mechanism would be an "external-load attaching means".

I think it is a dumb idea and could be very dangerous. Sorry for being a party pooper. Flour bombing is one thing. Hanging a 10+ pound pumpkin on a stick on the end of your wingtip is another.

Roberta

Last edited:
No equipment being jettisoned here.

FWIW, there is no definition for "equipment" in FAR 1 1.1. It does define "external load" and "external load attaching". I note that "external load containers" and "any quick release device" is clearly not the jettisoned load itself *:

External load means a load that is carried, or extends, outside of the aircraft fuselage.

External-load attaching means means the structural components used to attach an external load to an aircraft, including external-load containers, the backup structure at the attachment points, and any quick-release device used to jettison the external load.

*your friendly FAA person may have an entirely different view if you land a pumpkin in the wrong place.

Last edited:
I think it is a dumb idea and could be very dangerous. Sorry for being a party pooper. Flour bombing is one thing. Hanging a 10+ pound pumpkin on a stick on the end of your wingtip is another.

Roberta

Agreed. But it?s not just a 1 or a 0. There are actual ideas in between. Some people say building an airplane in one?s garage is ?a dumb idea and could be very dangerous,? but we don?t blindly take their advise either. I?m trying to poll the crowd on if anyone has done pumpkin bombing and how it worked out. But if you?d like to explain how flour bombing is a safer alternative IRT your experience with it, I?m totally up for the conversation.

Best pumpkin drop I have ever seen was a twin with a large camera/equipment hole cut into the belly. As it flew past, two guys were chucking pumpkins down the hole as fast as they could. It missed the target, but dang it was fun to watch.
Not sure what the weight of the pumpkins were.

The flour bombs we used were only a few ounces of flour in a lunch paper bag. We tossed them out a vent window and did not have them hanging on the wing of the plane. We could control where we threw them out.

Roberta

At the Texas STOL Roundup in 2015 in Llano I saw an RV-8 taxi by with his sliding canopy removed. I felt bad for the guy thinking he was taxiing to a hangar to repair his slider mechanism. Then he got in line with the rest of the flour bombing aircraft and took his turn taking off. I was incredulous. With his sliding canopy removed and flying open-cockpit with only the front windscreen! The RV-8 fellow would get over target and do a steep wing-over and throw his flour bomb over his shoulder at the target. He was pretty good shot and almost won. Really cool man.

Jim

We use an old Cessna 195 fuselage & whatever we can find for wings as our target here at Slobovia Outernational. Several years ago, a T-6 driver (flying solo) had to leave right after lunch (before the competition started) and asked if he could drop one on the way out. 'Sure; go for it.'

He took off, & circled back at ~200' AGL. Tossed it out of the open canopy, and hit the fuselage dead center, right behind the cabin area.

Anyone within flying distance of Jackson MS, we'd love for you to come on down on Nov. 4. MS71 on the Memphis Sectional, if you can still find one in print.

Cajun Jambalaya at noon, & competition starts at 1:30. Must be 'safe enough', since we have an FAA employee living here and we always invite the local FSDO. :)

Come on down!

A while back, there was a thread & someone had come up with a bomb bay door that was activated by a cable to dual piano hinge doors in the baggage area. Very cool set up.

I just checked the thread, but the images are no longer available.
http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=80528&highlight=bomb+bay+door&page=8
The photos are still available, but due to PhotoPhucket's ransom on external linking, no longer show up. If you go direct to his album, HERE you'll see them.

I once field certified a similar device for the purpose of spreading ashes from a Cessna 182.

Back