What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-12iS short circuit

rcarsey

Well Known Member
I experienced this problem a couple days ago and it may be something for other -12iS guys to look at.

In the photo attached below, on the left you're looking at the EIS (GEA24) box that is attached to the firewall, behind the pilot's PFD. You'll see a D-Sub connector. And you'll see the lowermost thumbscrew of it.

The wire bundle below that thumbscrew is going through the firewall - it carries power for the fuel pumps, generator output, FuseBox backup power wires, pitot tube, and some others.

Over the past 300 hours, the thumbscrew was rubbing against one of the wires in that bundle and finally shorted out.

There is clearance between the thumbscrew and hole in the firewall.. but it seems that these wires could curve upward a little depending on how they enter the next grommet (the white one which is mostly obscured in the photo).

I've corrected it by wrapping the bundle with spiral cable wrap (secured by a ziptie) and also used a spare piece of pitot tube tubing which fits very snugly over the thumbscrew Thanks to Brett H in Indiana with helping me fix this quickly.

Attachments

• IMG_4196.jpg
    IMG_4196.jpg
    190.5 KB · Views: 181
T

Rob,
I had a similar situation with my legacy RV12. The trim control wire bundle crossed the control box where most all the connectors insert into their labeled positions. One of these trim wires rubbed on the ruff thumb screw shorting the wire. It only would move the trim independent of the switch when I was in flight, yea!
So I was trying to figure out what was going on and while tracing the wires from the switch to the control box, I found where the thumb screw wore through. Repaired the wire and covered the thumb screw just like you did.
Then I really looked over other wire/thumb screw routes and found a few more screws that needed a cover, but no other wear spots. Looks things over next time you are in the avionics bay for this “gotta.”

Back