to donate fast.

VAF on Twitter:
@VansAirForceNet

Go Back   VAF Forums > Model Specific > RV-14
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-23-2022, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironflight View Post
On aileron trim - I am always surprised that even though we have electric trim on all three RVís, I rarely touch it. Of course, two of them are centerline seating, and I change tanks every thirty minutes. And when I am flying the side-by-side, it is usually cross-country, and the autopilot is flying, so I donít careÖ.. but I wouldnít remove it because every once in awhile, I play with it.
I'm with Paul on this one, and I'm especially not fond of the trim system in the 14, be careful that the springs don't wear into the aileron torque tube.

EXP Aircraft Services LLC
Specializing in RV Condition Inspections, Maintenance, Avionics Upgrades
Dynamic Prop Balancing, Pitot-Static Altmeter/Transponder Certification
FAA Certified Repair Station, AP/IA/FCC GROL, EAA Technical Counselor
Authorized Garmin G3X Dealer/Installer
RV7A built 2004, 2000+ hrs, New Titan IO-370, Bendix Mags, MTV-9 prop
Website: ExpAircraft.com, Email: walt@expaircraft.com, Cell: 972-746-5154
Old 09-23-2022, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustin_96 View Post
Not to get off topic but is rudder trim an option? My understanding is the most that is available is yaw damper with a 3 axis autopilot.
You can get manual rudder trim from Aerosport. I have it.

https://www.aerosportproducts.com/rv-products/
Miss March 2020
Old 09-23-2022, 07:37 PM

I hate 'Bitchin Betty'
---- when my buddy is flying along in AP mode & his EFIS is for ever screaming for him to 'trim up' 'trim down' 'trim left' 'trim right'. He has electric trim but doesn't have it automated or integrated...

Based on how mouthy Betty is, there must be a lot of minor trim adjustments that happen in a typical flight. I don't have a Betty in my plane so I must dumbly accept a LOT of slightly out of trim fly time enjoying every silent minute of it
Old 09-24-2022, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillL View Post

To the OP, having an RV7 with AP and no automatic trim, the AP will cause stick "tick" when the roll trim is not balanced. If observed carefully the stick points to the trim button needing action. Tick -tick - tick.
The above only true with stepper motor style AP, the Garmin does not do that.

EXP Aircraft Services LLC
Specializing in RV Condition Inspections, Maintenance, Avionics Upgrades
Dynamic Prop Balancing, Pitot-Static Altmeter/Transponder Certification
FAA Certified Repair Station, AP/IA/FCC GROL, EAA Technical Counselor
Authorized Garmin G3X Dealer/Installer
RV7A built 2004, 2000+ hrs, New Titan IO-370, Bendix Mags, MTV-9 prop
Website: ExpAircraft.com, Email: walt@expaircraft.com, Cell: 972-746-5154
Old 09-24-2022, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt View Post
be careful that the springs don't wear into the aileron torque tube.
I found the oem clips will allow the springs to rub on torque tube. Made two new ones that were approx 1/4Ē longer and 1/8Ē taller. Found it easiest to install springs to servo arm on workbench and then reinstall arm to servo once torque back in the wing. Washer wrenches were helpful for servo arm reinstall. I abandoned the micro molex and will plug terminals in to each other and heat shrink with a piece of fishing line under heat shrink. If I ever have to remove, pulling the fishing line cuts the heat shrink. No Olfa knife while laying on back.
Click image for larger version

Name:	C278C336-7C5C-4A5A-B58B-16C280B582C0.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	271.8 KB
ID:	31426

Click image for larger version

Name:	4BDA9A21-4674-493B-9A82-1B01DAD47B75.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	154.6 KB
ID:	31427
Old 09-24-2022, 10:13 AM

I donít know if the RV14 has a manual roll trim option, but that is what I have on my new RV6, and it works very well. My GRT EFIS doesnít have the option of driving the trim motors, so Iím not missing out on having my autopilot command trim automatically. If Iím out of trim the EFIS will ask for trim (visually with an arrow unless Iím way out). Iíve never seen it ask for roll trim, only pitch trim occasionally. When hand flying and a little out of balance laterally, it will roll if you take your eyes off from flying for a few moments, so roll trim is nice to have. I can trim mine out in smooth air and it will just stay there for a considerable amount of time. It makes hand flying a little more enjoyable to me when actually going somewhere.
RV4/bought 2016/sold/2017
RV8/2018 built/Sold(sadly)
RV4/bought 2019/sold2021
RV6/August 2022 build - Flying
Cincinnati, OH/KHAO
JAN2022
Old 09-24-2022, 10:33 AM

Never flown the 14 but if they are in line with most of the other RV line, then its likely that you will never get it perfectly trimmed without some kind of cockpit adjustable scheme. Fuel load will screw up the trim, and some will even claim that reaching across the cockpit will initiate a slight roll. That is certainly true with my Rocket, but I did remove the trim on that airplane ("remove" - AKA "built a new aileron"). It was an external tab and I did not like the reduction in flutter margin for that scheme (weight, hinges, linkage, servo slop, etc). Also had a spring cartridge in the RV - 8 and was not a fan. In the end, the autopilot handles roll trim for those long cross countries and for the hand flying I do (acro, form, fooling around), the slight wing heavienss is not enough to notice.

I also removed the rudder trim on the Rocket (installed a new rudder) for the same flutter concerns, and I don't miss it one bit.

Thats my choice and I am only offering it as food for thought.
WARNING! Incorrect design and/or fabrication of aircraft and/or components may result in injury or death. Information presented in this post is based on my own experience - Reader has sole responsibility for determining accuracy or suitability for use.

Michael Robinson
RV-8 - SDS CPI - SOLD

Last edited by Toobuilder : 09-24-2022 at 10:41 AM.