What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Flyleds

TJCF16

Well Known Member
Has anyone installed the Flyleds landing lights in their RV-9A. I have been looking at them and can't decide which model to go with. I thought about the dual spot lights, the seven starts light or the Combo leading edge/taxi. May be one side a seven star the other a leading edge combo. Not sure what will fit in the Duck Works mount without a whole lot of modification.

I have a pair of seven stars in my rv-9a leading edges and they are fantastic! You have to partially assemble them in the wing for it to fit but it's no big deal and they are SOOOOOO bright.

I have them in duckworks mounts.

Seven Stars

I'm not a builder and I accomplished this in a few hours. I trimmed a bit off the ckt board and that allowed me to completely assemble the whole thing outside of the wing.

If you do it this way, be patient while guiding it into the wing - the clearance is small and you might end up with a Six Stars.

Works fine with existing wiring and old SSF-1 flasher. Too bright to look at.

How much light?

Ultimately, the answer to your question just depends on how much light you want to put out. Each one of the spotlight LEDs puts out roughly 1200 lumens, so you've got options to put 1, 2, 3, 4 (Combo Light), 6 (Six Pack), or 7 (7 Stars) in there, depending on how much room you have.

There is more than one variety of Duckworks mount... the best fit/least modification for the rectangular hole mount is likely the Double Spot, as seen in ArlingtonRV's excellent writeup. If you've got the Duckworks mount with the round hole, the Combo Light (4 spot LEDs) is probably the easiest.

That being said, there's no reason you couldn't enlarge the hole in the Duckworks bracket or fabricate a plate to reduce the hole to fit the light kit that you choose.

As mentioned elsewhere, we've got these light kits on our store (flyboyaccessories.com) with stock here in the US, or you can get them directly from Flyleds (flyleds.com) in Australia.

Back