What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Idler gear shaft torque value

terry.mortimore

Well Known Member
Hi gang:

I'm starting the reassembly of my IO-320 after Divco did the repairs to my crankcase. The 1/4" bolts that hold the Idler gear to the case wore the threads out.

Divco has installed a 5/16" stud and the other hole is a 5/16" bolt.

I've had this problem twice and I want to make darn sure I get it right when it goes together this time.

I want to ensure I have the proper torque value for the 5/16" nut and the 5/16" bolt.

I see Service Instruction 1197A and 1310A referenced for this area, but I can't find a copy of these instructions.

Can someone point me in the right direction?

Thanks, Terry.

I'm about to do this this weekend. I plan on torquing to 17 ft/lbs for the bolt. Most manuals I find use 12 ft/lbs for the slotted nut.

My engine shop uses lock plates and a non slotted nut so I'm going to double check with them but they might do 17 ft/lbs on both.

Sorry I can't find either of those documents. Too bad, I would like to read them.

Hi Jereme:

I spoke with Divco and they told me 17 lbs/ft for both. I also found a more current overhaul manual online yesterday and it says 17 lbs/ft on the bolt and 12 lbs/ft on the nut.

I did the deed last night. I used the 12 lbs/ft torque on the slotted nut.

Terry.

Hi Jereme:

I spoke with Divco and they told me 17 lbs/ft for both. I also found a more current overhaul manual online yesterday and it says 17 lbs/ft on the bolt and 12 lbs/ft on the nut.

I did the deed last night. I used the 12 lbs/ft torque on the slotted nut.

Terry.

Nice! If I recall those are wet torques correct? I seem to recall my engine shop guy telling me they put a "tiny bit of lubriplate" on the threads first.

Nice! If I recall those are wet torques correct? I seem to recall my engine shop guy telling me they put a "tiny bit of lubriplate" on the threads first.

Hi Jereme, I believe that those are lubricated torque values. I can tell you that mine were well lubricated with Red Loctite! :D

Terry.

Hi Jereme, I believe that those are lubricated torque values. I can tell you that mine were well lubricated with Red Loctite! :D

Terry.

Haha nice. Ya that's probably not a bad idea. It would be no good at all if one or both backed out somehow.

Back