-Advertise in here!
- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Old 01-18-2021, 04:03 PM

Default Passenger rudder pedal retrofit?

I am thinking about buying a flying RV-4. The airplane is well equipped for my mission but it doesn't have any rudder pedals for the rear seat. I don't have the RV-4 plans (yet) so I don't have good visibility as to how they would have been installed when the airplane was built. Is there 'reasonable' way to retrofit this aircraft with rear seat rudder pedals?
FFR Roadster (sold)
Old 01-18-2021, 04:17 PM

Default Several choices

There are elegant, and there are adequate. First, decide why you really need them. There is little room to work with, and the more complex set requires some under floor mods. The simple set screws to the floor pan and links into the rudder cables. Your plane and the way its finished out will be a factor. Make sure you have rear footwells regardless of pedals. I wont put them in mine and I k NJ ow some who have removed theirs because of interference with PAX.
Old 01-18-2021, 08:36 PM

Default Did more searching

Thanks Bill. I searched this forum for this topic (No Joy) but just got better results with a Google Search. My main purpose for rear controls is for formation flying with an instructor in back. I don’t plan on having the rear passenger land from the back seat since I know that visibility will be an issue. Flyboy’s fold down pedals look interesting but I have to check on the manual flap lever interferences.

Just collecting thoughts and personal experiences.
FFR Roadster (sold)
Old 01-19-2021, 02:09 AM

Default Check your PM

Sent you a PM
Old 01-19-2021, 06:49 AM

I have a set of the FlyBoy Accessories pedals in the backseat of my RV-4 with the manual flap lever. I haven't noticed any interference between the pedals folding and the flap lever.

RV-4 N249P
O-320, Dual P-Mags, Warnke Prop, Short legs, Manual Flaps, GRT Sport EX
Old 01-19-2021, 07:39 PM

Default Good to know

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jvon811 View Post
I have a set of the FlyBoy Accessories pedals in the backseat of my RV-4 with the manual flap lever. I haven't noticed any interference between the pedals folding and the flap lever.
There was one review of Flyboy’s pedals on their website where the reviewer stated that they ‘did not suit the manual flap setup’ on his aircraft. Maybe his setup is unique.
FFR Roadster (sold)
Old 01-29-2021, 01:56 PM

Default Formation flying........

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud K View Post
My main purpose for rear controls is for formation flying with an instructor in back.
You might want to consult with whomever you are thinking about taking formation instruction. They may not mind if there are no rudder pedals in the back seat, especially in an RV-4. Most of formation flying is done with the stick and throttle. Control harmony in the RV-4 is such that rudder input is sometimes minimal. Is rudder important in formation flying? Yes; but they may be comfortable with telling you what to do with the rudder pedals during your instruction. There also is no throttle control in the rear seat of a -4. I'm sure there are instructors that require a full set of dual controls. Not happening in the -4 without some moderate modifications.....

There are people who are avid formation pilots on this forum that could probably answer that question. Search "formation flying"; that should give you some references. And some really cool formation videos......
The adventure begins when things stop going as planned - Glen Heggstad
Subscriber!

Last edited by Roadjunkie1 : 01-29-2021 at 04:33 PM. Reason: Additional information
Old 02-07-2021, 03:15 PM

I concur.
I’m a former military and current RV formation instructor and believe all that’s needed in the back are stick and throttle.

Here’s a link to a video and photo of my rear seat throttle setup. Very simple.
https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...hpSFZCOWtqR0tn

Edit: it’s threaded rod sleeved in plastic.
Old 02-08-2021, 09:24 AM

For formation training, back seater will need stick, throttle, and a radio transmit button.
SNJ-5C, 665C - ground up restoration, almost done.