What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-6 vs RV-7 ground handling

edneff

Well Known Member
I recently had an opportunity to try out a friend's RV-6.

I was surprised at the difference in ground handling between the 6 and the 7 that I was used to and the 8 that I am currently flying.

The RV6 seemed unable to make even a gentle turn while taxiing without using brakes while the 7 & 8 were quite responsive. It seems the smaller rudder on the 6 was ineffective under about 17 knots ground speed. Is this typical to the model? I have also flown the 4 and it seemed easier to taxi than the 6.

Any tips on the transition would be appreciated.

It is probably worth comparing the tailwheels. A new tailwheel with a small contact patch behaves far differently than a well worn wheel with a wide flat spot and a corresponding big contact patch.

On the ground, you should be able to steer with the tailwheel steering.

In addition to the differences in Tailwheel s, you will find that there are a number of different steering setups - chains, cable, single-sided links....they all feel different. And every airplane has different wear in its tailwheel lock pin and steering arm, so they will break out at different levels of force/travel. Add to that a difference in weight on teh tailwheel due to CG and loading....and I don’t think any one model is different than any other model - the differences are just inherent in each plane.

Paul

If all those planes used the original Vans kit parts & were set up the same, they would handle very similar to each other. A lot of RVs use aftermarket tail wheel components which might change handling some, but the main thing that influence a large handling difference would be how that specific 6 was set up.

RV6 Tailwheel Ground Handling

As a newbie tailwheel pilot, I will add to this thread some additional questions, i.e. how easy is it to ground loop a -6 compared to a Citabria, Cessna etc. Do you find that it's necessary to use the brakes to turn as was the case in my 6A? Any tips would be appreciated.

Ron, please re-read Ironflight/Paul‘s excellent post above.
Very true.

I’ve just returned from flying the -8, and I could swear it is trying to groundloop, on every roll-out, feeling much less directionally stable than my -6.9 sporting the same -8 tail. Go figure... but as Paul points out, too many differences.
Generally speaking, taxiing my -6 doesn’t require the brakes, only rudder, but for the tightest of turns.

My RV6 has the Aviation Products tailwheel with compression springs. From my hangar to the runup area there are four 90 degree turns. I can easily taxi the whole way without using the brakes.

Like Paul said, there are many different setups. Also, tailwheel systems require routine maintenance, which many don't get.

There is nothing unusual about the tailwheel ground steering of the RV6. An RV6 with a properly installed and serviced tailwheel/spring/steering system is a delight on the ground.

As a newbie tailwheel pilot, I will add to this thread some additional questions, i.e. how easy is it to ground loop a -6 compared to a Citabria, Cessna etc. Do you find that it's necessary to use the brakes to turn as was the case in my 6A? Any tips would be appreciated.

Honestly, I think the tailwheel RV’s are about the easiest taildraggers around. Low CG, low profile against a crosswind, etc. I’ve never ground looped anything, but I think the odds of a ground loop are smaller in an RV than in almost any other tailwheel aircraft.

As long as the springs aren't dead, you shouldn't need brakes to start a turn while taxing, but sometimes you'll need the brakes to stop a turn, especially if you are trying to stop a turn with a crossword or downwind component. A good exercise is to slow down approaching a turn, anticipate the turn and use a little power across the rudder to initiate ans to stop the turn.with proper technique, you can taxi without using the brakes at all, including your -a model

Great Responses-Maintenance Planned

Thanks for the responses, I have ordered a Dave Bell fork, new pin, spring and tail wheel arm with a tie down loop. The Dave Bell fork was ordered because it provides for 11/4” additional clearance for the fork which could prevent damage to the tail from striking something on the ground. By raising the tail it also provides better visibility over the nose. More to follow.

Last edited:
Check Main Gear Alignment

Toe-in/toe-out has a LOT to do with ground handling. I’ve flown tail wheel airplanes of the same make and model with quite different ground handling characteristics.

Back