What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Official first day of Building.... Sorta

Gadgetttboy

I'm New Here
Good morning Rv world! Today was the official first day of my Rv-7a build process. I will try not to become a statistic as I have realistic goals of 4-5 years in mind. However...... I worked hard for 2.5 hours this morning and built my table, set up my area in Gary Specketer's workshop (N204GS Rv-10) and stared at the plans for 20 minutes and called it a day. Off to a good start!

PS... I made the table out of a Vans shipping container and a door! repurpose master..... :)

photo.JPG

photo01.JPG

You will enjoy it! I have been working slowly for 24 months now and am I fiddling with sealing up my fuel tanks now. I was just out in the shop this morning doing a little prep work for some final sealing and thinking about how much I enjoy this project.

I still remember my first replacement part I had to buy on my emp kit....I thought I was gonna get through the whole project without buying one replacement part. I laugh at that notion now!

Good luck!

Last edited:
Not the last use you will find for Van's shipping containers

When you get your wing kit, and it has the 16' long angles that will become the longerons in the fuselage, your first thought will be "Where in the world am I going to store those things?" Hopefully at the same time, you will also ask the question "What can I do with those 17' long 1 x 8's that the crate containing the longerons came in?" All you then need is a wall long enough to fit the resulting shelves. The shorter 1 x 8's make great shelves also; you will fill them all up before you know it.

Good beginning Rob! Judging from your resourcefulness you won't become a statistic. 3 years to first flight is my bet :D

Welcome

Welcome Rob and excellent work on the bench. Doors make a great flat work bench.
Don't hesitate to ask a question here. The brain trust will save you so much effort and usually someone will reply in just a few minutes.

I love the table! I didn't think of anything that creative, but I've also used my boxes. I cut up part of one this weekend to make a jig to hold my flaps against my work table while I riveted them. The top of the wing kit holds the wing skins against the rafters in the basement workshop until they are ready to mount.

You're going to love the journey!

Locking casters are handy ...

I built a table of my own design (before I knew of the EAA table) and installed locking casters so I could move it around my shop. That proved to be an invaluable feature over the 6 yrs of my build. Now that I use the work table for honey-do and home projects, the ability to move it around is even more convenient. :D

Ditto on the casters

I'm still on my Emp, but prior to aircraft construction they made transporting a homemade 250# dining room table a piece of cake!

IMG_4827.jpg

Chris,
The intro to your blog is hilarious. I can relate to the "new words" your girls might be hearing. LOL!! When I showed my wife the picture of your little rivet setter, she actually showed interest in something aviation related... :)

Dennis

whatever it takes

Chris,
The intro to your blog is hilarious. I can relate to the "new words" your girls might be hearing. LOL!! When I showed my wife the picture of your little rivet setter, she actually showed interest in something aviation related... :)

Dennis

Thanks Dennis! Happy to help with the motivation; my wife has "favorite" tasks, and both the 3 & 4 year old know what clecos are.

Don't want to derail the OP's thread - PM me if your wife cares to talk to mine.

Back