What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Titan O-370

Flying8

Can anyone who has installed a Titan 370 share some of the issues you may have had in regards to doing the firewall forward? Making the engine choice on my RV-8 build in the next two months and Titan has the most HP per $$ after all the cost increases.

I just want to know what mods other than the baffling on the tapered cylinders builders have run into.

Thanks!

Exhaust Tube clearances

I have a ECI TITAN XIO360 (before Continental) with the horizontal FI and ECI cold air sump. This has presented, for me at least, some challenges with getting the exhaust manifold to fit and the infamous Van’s Pink lower cowling to clear the exhaust tubes and have sufficient clearance from the intake tubes. I have the Vetterman Trombone exhaust that needed some rework to clear the intake tubes. I may need to do a blister or two on the lower cowl if the exhaust tube settles too close for comfort. Other than that, so far just about everything else seems to work.

IO 370 with cold slump horizontal intake. Vetterman four pipe exhaust fit ok. Snorkle required some rework. Rotated AFP servo 90* for better run at control cables. Tapered cylinders required simple baffle work.

Three words. Tapered fin cylinders.

Well known difference and an established mod to address but it does take time. Doing this at this today, in fact. I definitely owe the associated contributors some cold adult beverages.

Attachments

• 36589CA0-0424-449B-8B53-9F4F820575AB.jpg
    36589CA0-0424-449B-8B53-9F4F820575AB.jpg
    270.5 KB · Views: 174
Can anyone who has installed a Titan 370 share some of the issues you may have had in regards to doing the firewall forward? Making the engine choice on my RV-8 build in the next two months and Titan has the most HP per $$ after all the cost increases.

I just want to know what mods other than the baffling on the tapered cylinders builders have run into.

Thanks!

Can't read for sh!t on my phone, so I gave you an answer you already knew. Sorry.

Something to consider, what FI system are you going with? Titan offered only EFII for EFI/EI option when I bought mine. It makes a lot of sense if the engine builder will install it versus you doing it later. That said, the EFII injectors stick out past the rocker box covers. The OEM told me this shouldn't be true. Can only speak for the EFII and Titan combo but this is going to cause some fairly time consuming rework. The biggest offender is the #2 since the injection port geometry has the injector at a forward angle. Even though it is shorter than the other three (a surprise to me from many aspects), the projection places it in (more) conflict as the cowling is converging towards the prop. Looked at other cowling options for this build but I don't see a different cowling solving this. Can only speak for my build. Hopefully not an issue for you.

Attachments

• Injector cyl 1.jpg
    Injector cyl 1.jpg
    457.2 KB · Views: 144
  • Injector cyl 2.jpg
    Injector cyl 2.jpg
    522.8 KB · Views: 144
  • Injector cyl 2 level.jpg
    Injector cyl 2 level.jpg
    487 KB · Views: 145

Thanks!

I replaced a 360 with a 370, rather than make new inner cylinder baffles to fit the taper cylinders I just added some holes to the IB side of the inner baffle and pulled the baffles into place with some safety wire. So far so good and CHT's are great.

Can't read for sh!t on my phone, so I gave you an answer you already knew. Sorry.

Something to consider, what FI system are you going with? Titan offered only EFII for EFI/EI option when I bought mine. It makes a lot of sense if the engine builder will install it versus you doing it later. That said, the EFII injectors stick out past the rocker box covers. The OEM told me this shouldn't be true. Can only speak for the EFII and Titan combo but this is going to cause some fairly time consuming rework. The biggest offender is the #2 since the injection port geometry has the injector at a forward angle. Even though it is shorter than the other three (a surprise to me from many aspects), the projection places it in (more) conflict as the cowling is converging towards the prop. Looked at other cowling options for this build but I don't see a different cowling solving this. Can only speak for my build. Hopefully not an issue for you.

I'm going with the carb engine. Hopefully the dimensions are very similar to O-360-A1A.

I'm going with the carb engine. Hopefully the dimensions are very similar to O-360-A1A.

I'd probably suggest going with their vertical sump and AFP150 FI system, probably not much more than the carb and FI definitely has a few advantages.
This is the same setup I have (I switched from carb to FI many moons ago but stayed with the vertical sump to avoid cowl issues).

Thanks Walt. Sounds like your experience was pretty plug and play so to speak.

Going with carb for simplicity and now $$ since prices are insane now. Luckily i ordered all my kits before the price hike on the aircraft..

I am still contemplating getting a used 360 from a well known salvage place and IRAN or overhaul myself as I don't know when I will even receive the finish kit.

But to stay on topic the 195HP Titan sounds awesome as long as i don't add a large amount of mods..

Thanks Walt. Sounds like your experience was pretty plug and play so to speak.

Going with carb for simplicity and now $$ since prices are insane now. Luckily i ordered all my kits before the price hike on the aircraft..

I am still contemplating getting a used 360 from a well known salvage place and IRAN or overhaul myself as I don't know when I will even receive the finish kit.

But to stay on topic the 195HP Titan sounds awesome as long as i don't add a large amount of mods..

A new 370 engine will definitely increase the fun factor and aircraft value compared to a rebuilt engine :D
However, I just replaced my Hartzell BA with an MT due to possible issues with the increased power of the 370 and the BA.

I replaced a 360 with a 370, rather than make new inner cylinder baffles to fit the taper cylinders I just added some holes to the IB side of the inner baffle and pulled the baffles into place with some safety wire. So far so good and CHT's are great.

I did the same with same results.

Back