What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Exhaust Installation/Anti-Seize Question

Stockmanreef

Well Known Member
I am about to put in the exhaust and the plans state to use anti seize on the slip joints. I quick search says that copper based anti seize may not be the best and that Nickel might be better. I have Loctite LB8008, which is a copper based anti-Seize. I assume that anti-seize should go on the exhaust bolts as well.

I have read that Mouse Milk is used in certain areas. Is this for things like the ball joints?

Thanks
ken

Sky Dynamics recommends on installation lubricate all exhaust joints with high-temperature anti-seize.

For ongoing maintenance, from the Vetterman website:
"How do I keep slip joints and ball joints lubricated?

We highly recommend that every time the cowling is removed the exhaust should be inspected and Mouse Milk penetrate be applied to all slip joints and ball joints."​

I use a syringe to apply the mouse milk. Not so messy that way.

I am using a nickel based anti-sieze

for the slip joints... I am using a nickel based anti-sieze from permatex that has worked well.
Also, back off the bolts a bit so that they rotate freely.

Last edited:
I think we're talking about two different applications here.

Nickel or copper antiseize is great on studs, and exhaust pipe couplers which can be dismantled for servicing.

Mouse Milk is often recommended for the exhaust pipe ball swivels and similar which cannot be dismantled. Personally I think Mouse Milk is near useless, but it has its believers.

In recent years, nothing. I can't tell any difference.

TDS and MSDS: Note the smoke point note. The stuff may have some merit as a solvent to flush out baked solids which inhibit movement between the ball and socket, but that property wouldn't be any different as compared to a dozen other penetrating liquid products.

https://www.mousemilk.com/MM_Tech_Spec_rev1.pdf

The MSDS says it's mostly light oil mixed with three common solvents, toluene, alcohol, and methyl isobutyl ketone, a close cousin of acetone. Here we're talking about a very hot pipe. The oil will turn to hard carbon, and the solvents simply evaporate. Again, no anti seize properties, unless you consider carbon to be an anti seize.

https://www.mousemilk.com/Mousemilk_Penetrating_Oil_(USA)_EN_sds.pdf

51% Petroleum distillates, hydrotreated light naphthenic
39% Toluene
6% Isopropyl Alcohol
4% Methylisobutyl ketone
100%

Last edited:
On the ball joints

Before the system was installed, the flange was bolted to a bar, mounted in the vice and the swivel joint moved around with nickel anti-seize applied generously until it worked it's way into the joint. The movement force dropped considerably.

On condition inspection, nickel anti-seize in a mixture with mouse milk is applied with an acid brush. No feedback from the joint, but better than nothing, or so the thinking goes.

Back