What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Heater cable installation

rvator4twa

Well Known Member
Patron
I am ready to install a couple of Vans provided ACS heater pulls. Does the knob come unscrewed so it can be panel mounted thru a smaller hole in the panel, or do you drill a larger hole?

As far as I can tell, the only way you can install them in a moderately sized hole is to thread the cable through the hole first from the front side of the panel. This makes removing the panel a hassle since you'll have to remove the cable from securing points and whatever it operates first.

I'm thinking of creating tiny sub-panels for the cables that run through the main panel (Cabin Heat and Parking Brake). These would be attached to the main panel from behind with nutplates, covering a hole large enough for the knob to pass through. The knob would attach to this smaller plate.

Not sure what would be more of a hassle, constructing these or fiddling with the cable under the panel.

For cables near the bottom edge of the panel (like my heater cable)...

...cut a vertical slot, slightly smaller than the cable mounting hole diameter, from the bottom edge of the cable hole to the bottom edge of the panel. Insert intact cable up through the slot and secure locking nut. The slot is not visible in normal flight from left or right seat.

If you have room, install another lower panel like the one for throttle and mixture that can be unscrewed from the main panel.

Heater cable thanks

Thanks to all for useable suggestions. Not sure which one I will do yet but the simple answer is as I feared, not simple.

Heater cables

Needed to shorten them quite a bit and since I can't pull my panel with any ease, I drilled 11/32 holes to mount them. Fairly easy.

I thought about that, but was worried about weakening the panel by slicing the bottom flange.

Heater cable at bottom right leaves most of the flange information intact on my panel. Other controls (throttle, mixture, purge valve for AP injection, alt air on the FAB) are in the small subpanel per the plans.

The other posts have the drilling down and a drop panel. I did a drop panel, rounded the edges to prevent knee cutting in excitement, knobs thread off if the shaft is vice held. McFarlane knobs fit. I spent 8 hours under the panel in the last couple of days, so I don't see the under panel work as any big deal. I am smaller, but not so flexible. Hurt maybe, but not hurtle. All in the technique it seems, like landings.

As far as I can tell, the only way you can install them in a moderately sized hole is to thread the cable through the hole first from the front side of the panel. This makes removing the panel a hassle since you'll have to remove the cable from securing points and whatever it operates first.

I'm thinking of creating tiny sub-panels for the cables that run through the main panel (Cabin Heat and Parking Brake). These would be attached to the main panel from behind with nutplates, covering a hole large enough for the knob to pass through. The knob would attach to this smaller plate.

Not sure what would be more of a hassle, constructing these or fiddling with the cable under the panel.

This is exactly what I normally do.

Back