What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Bad news for me

When I decided to go LSA I looked at a number of planes. Spending $100K + for a new airplane was not an option. I seriously considered the Zodiac 601XL. It was avaiable as a quick build kit, and I could put any engine or panel in it that I wanted. I chose the RV-12 knowing that it had to be built exactly to Van's specs. In my opinion the 12 handles better, looks better, and has Van's history behind it. In short I traded flexibility in construction for superior end product. This is a decision I made after considering all my options. Van's made it clear they were selling me a ELSA kit, nothing else. Are there things that I would rather see in the panel. yes? If this was paramount I would have bought the Zodiac. Just like everything else in an airplane, there are always trade offs. I do intend to modify the panel after certification. To this end I intend to use the supplied panel blanks and use my router to make a template in 1/4" MDF. Aircraft Spruce sells small sheets of Aluminum which I can then cut to exact shape using the template. I like the Dynon, But want a steam gauge altimeter and ASI.

Last edited:
Back