What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

New things in fuel

[email protected]

Well Known Member
I built and installed new tanks on my RV-6A and then realized I needed return lines into the tanks.
A real ah shucks moment. But, that said they came off real easy.
There are no end to surprises when you are doing things. And no matter how good you clean somebody gets a fly in the ointment.
Crazy Crazy found one stuck in my flip/flop tube after only 4.5 hours of flying.
I guess he came along for the ride.
Must have flown in as I was buttering Proseal.
Art

Attachments

• IMG_0422.jpg
    IMG_0422.jpg
    215.3 KB · Views: 346
That fly only got to fly for 4.5 hours. I built and installed new tanks and then realized I had to pull them to install the return lined for SDS injection.
Glad I forgot the return lines. That little sucker might have caused some problems later.
Oh the fun we have Art

Where do they have you install returns? I close to starting my tanks, and I was thinking about putting some extra VA-112 bungs in there just in case...

If you install SDS injection system they require a fuel return to the tanks.
If you put the -4 bulkhead fittings in now and just cap them off you will be happy you did if you ever need the return system. Some, But, not all require it.
It can't cost more than $40.00 now but Later??????
Art

Tom, and others, we like the way Vans has the RV10/14 rib, with the return port above the supply one. Same idea for the 6/7/8/9 tanks. It keeps the hose lengths generally symmetrical to the supply hose, unless of course you are using inverted fuel pickups.

Attachments

• RV14 RV10 tank rib.png
    RV14 RV10 tank rib.png
    689.6 KB · Views: 234
fuel return plumbing

Back in the day when I did mine, I brought the return line to the second bay to allow the fuel a bit of time to cool.

http://www.rv8.ch/fuel-return-line/

No idea if this was needed, but it seems like a good idea at the time. And it was very easy.

Back