What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Sport Air workshop vs. Grove Air?

V111Pilot

Anyone have input regarding taking the new RV builders class from EAA SportAir (Oshkosh) or from Grove Air (Danville Il.)? I am a new builder and am wondering if the two are very simular or if you would recommend one over the other. Thanks!

Hey - I attended the basic RV sheet metal class ag Grov-Air around 4 years ago. I went in knowing very little about aircraft construction, and came out knowing enough to get started on my RV-7A. Class sizes were small (3 groups of 2 I think).

I can't comment directly about the similiar Sport Air class, but I walked by the class room for this class when I was at OshKosh taking an electrical wiring class and the class size looked much larger.

If the drives and costs are similiar, I'd lean towards Grov-Air, but don't think it would be a problem at all to attend the Sport Air workshop instead.

Hope this helps,
Jason

If the drives and costs are similiar, I'd lean towards Grov-Air, but don't think it would be a problem at all to attend the Sport Air workshop instead.

First, there is no wrong answer. Both are great classes. I haven't taken this class through SportAir, but I did take the Fiberglass class and observed the metal class.

I concur with Jason. I took Troy's class almost six years ago. You'll get more personalized attention at Grov-Air. What I really benefited is that he had the standard tool kits from various vendors. You can try the various models out and determine which you prefer before making that big purchase for a tool bundles from Avery, Cleaveland, or Isham. Also, the poster that Troy put together has been a godsend during my build. It's got all the drill bit and screw conversions on it. I probably use that a couple times a week for the past five years. It's mounted on the wall in my hangar.

bob

My wife and I took the Grov-Air class together. It was just us and one other person at that weekend class. We both learned a lot and I too have the poster on my shop wall.

It was a great class and I would definitely recommend it.

pdj

Sportair class`

I took a sportair class this weekend just gone Sat/Sun.

It was the 'RV assembly' class, classroom and hands on riveting etc and learning to read the RV plans. Instructor was John Brecher, I thought he was pretty good. It was at Waco, which is a 3 hour drive for me and with the hotel, fuel and course costs it was an expensive weekend. But I think it was worth it.

I'm looking forward to my tail section to arrive so I can get started......can't wait.

If before I thought I might not be up to building, now I know I am. There were 15 to the class, but I was not under the impression that this was a problem.

It seems that Grove air are just as good, so it's whichever is easiest for you to attend really.

Oh, just a thought, when you go for a course, let the list know.

A) Someone on the list might not know that it is happening, and might like to go (that's how I ended up going).

B) Someone else might be going also, it would give you an opportunity to talk to someone you've already had contact with on this list (I met 4 other members there)

Last edited:
I can't recommend Troy and Grov-Air highly enough. I took his basic and empennage classes 2 years ago when I was starting and have continued working with him since.

Troy is very experienced and has a great teaching style. In addition to learning the specific skills, I made a number of tools decisions based on using his, even made better decisions on kit options based on his advice from prior builds and planes in his shop.

Troy's classes are smaller groups, we all went out to lunch together and even over to the airport across the road where he had an 8 in for a condition inspection, which was the 1st time I even saw a completed RV. So another side benefit besides just doing a kit.

I have no experience with Sportair, so nothing at all negative about them intended, but I can say you can't go wrong learning from Troy.

Michael

Last edited:
Sportair workshops ...

Before I ordered my tail kit (so many moons ago) I attended the Sportair Workshop on basic metal working at OSH in January. It was a great experience ... met a bunch of knowledgeable people and was able to try my hand at virtually every metal/aluminum task I encountered in building my 9A. The shops at EAA are VERY nice and well equipped, and you get to take your breaks walking around the museum looking at cool stuff!

Sportair

I also attended the Sportair RV Assembly course when it was offered in Waco, TX, about three years ago. I went in knowing nothing, and left with some riveting experience and enough confidence about building that I ordered my empennage kit and tools within a couple weeks of completing the course. The course won't teach you everything you need to know, but it will give you a good start. In my opinion, the course was money well spent.

Back