What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

n5lp

fugio ergo sum
Hey Doug,

I guess the capability of using avatars was added in the recent software update, since I haven't seen any before now.

I really like it, and would encourage people to use an actual photograph of themselves, in some form, even if it is rotated 90 degrees for artistic purposes:) Shoot we already know you have a beautiful airplane, we want to see you.

I just think it personalizes the posts and might even make it possible to recognize someone at LOE.

Last edited:
Yep!

Hey Doug,

I guess the capability of using avatars was added in the recent software update, since I haven't seen any before now.

I really like it, and would encourage people to use an actual photograph of themselves, in some form, even if it is rotated 90 degrees for artistic purposes:) Shoot we already know you have a beautiful airplane, we want to see you.

I just think it personalizes the posts and might even make it possible to recognize someone at LOE.

Bruce
RV-10 (soon)

What's an avatar? j/k My ugly plane is perdier than my ugly mug.

Yep, Larry. Avatars are now enabled and I'd agree completely that a face is the preferred image (even 90* rotated ;)).

Did you notice the new multi-quote feature that I used in this reply? :).

b,
dr

Shy.

snip....My ugly plane is perdier than my ugly mug.

OK, I get it....Dan is shy.

I worked up one for you that taps into that....:)
dan.jpg

Yes, that's you (at OSH '07).

b,
dr :rolleyes:

If you had one of my left eye, I might consider it. But for now I'm sticking with my airplane flying along with a bunch of buds! (Hog, Rosie, Lucky, Hack)

How do I get my photos to 10kb?

Sorry for being so dull guys, but how do I get my photo down to 10kb? I took my favorite photo and reduced it to 35kb by telling windows I wanted to e-mail it to someone, but that is not enough. Do I need some additional software?
Thanks

Sorry for being so dull guys, but how do I get my photo down to 10kb? I took my favorite photo and reduced it to 35kb by telling windows I wanted to e-mail it to someone, but that is not enough. Do I need some additional software?
Thanks
Steve, I couldn't get iPhoto to do it. An 80 by 80 was just a bit too big.

The free Windows photo program Picasa can do it. You just pick lower and lower qualitiy for an export until it works. By the way, I found that Picasa will not display a small photo unless you tell it to.

I'm sure there is a lot of other software that can do it also.

Last edited:
Photoshop Elements Free Trial Will Work.

Thanks

http://www.adobe.com/products/photoshopelwin/tryout.html

Works for 30 days.

It's a slightly stripped down version of Photoshop and will let you select a medium quality .jpg (but with all the sharpening and adjusting tools to keep the image crisp).

b,
dr

Darn, I wanted mine animated.

I really wanted to use this one but it looks like it doesn't accept animated .gif images.
runwithscissorsoj1.gif

Or this one from a classic masterpiece.
spaceballswhatrr1.gif

Just got mine up.

I use Irfanview (a free "minimalist" photo program) for all my basic photo editing needs (crop, resize, rotate, color tweaking).

...and another

While I'm not very creative, I've certainly enjoyed the cool stuff submitted by others. VAF just keeps gettin better... and more adictive!

Ernie Butcher
Houston TX
-8 Flying

Windows XP Photo Edit ... not to bad of a resize.
If using Windows Photo Editor click on the Image/Resize tool and change the Units from inches to pixels. Then you can change the width X height measurements to the 80 x 80 pixels. If the picture is not exactly square it may be something like 80 x 60 but it works pretty well using this tool.

Avatar size limits resolution, etc.

Let's see how this one works. The full picture is posted at the top of my home page at www.n2prise.org.

Jerry K. Thorne
RV-9A - - N2PZ
"Enterprise"

Cropped out of a vacation shot!

Relaxed shot on vacation in HI. Can you tell I have a VAF hat on?

Last edited:
Picking a shot for an avatar was in my case choosing the lesser of all evils.

Not this one, I am an uber-dork, next!
Ugh, what am I doing there, next!
Ack, what a geek, next!
I didn't realize I was cross-eyed, next!
Is that a lampshade on my head? Next!
Am I really that bald? Next!
Holy cow, does the camera add 40 lbs? Next!
That's funny, I don't remember that night in Vegas?!?! [DELETE] Next!
Hmmm, maybe I can fix this one with photoshop, I think we have a winner!

Last edited:
Picking a shot for an avatar was in my case choosing the lesser of all evils.

Not this one, I am an uber-dork, next!
Ugh, what am I doing there, next!
Ack, what a geek, next!
I didn't realize I was cross-eyed, next!
Is that a lampshade on my head? Next!
Am I really that bald? Next!
Holy cow, does the camera add 40 lbs? Next!
That's funny, I don't remember that night in Vegas?!?! [DELETE] Next!
Hmmm, maybe I can fix this one with photoshop, I think we have a winner!

Brad,

Thats why I have the side shot !!!!!!!!!!!

This plane just passed six years and 900 hours within a week's time. Something like 1300 flights. Still way cool.

Did it work?

I have been trying to shrink my avatar (sounds painful). The CP shows my photo but it tells me that the upload failed. Let's run this thing up the flagpole.

I guess it did

I finally found something as frustrating as the fuel tanks. Shrinking my photo was a pain in the empenage.

Since my RV is not flying yet I can only dream about flying it. My avatar now reflects just one of those dreams.

:)

Doug:

Thanks for enabling the avatars! I'm finding it gives browsing the forums a whole new 'feel'.

Doug:
Thanks for enabling the avatars! I'm finding it gives browsing the forums a whole new 'feel'.

My pleasure, Jamie! I really like the feel it produces, and since my job is providing 'RV Virtual Escapism', I think it adds to that well.

b,
dr

Last edited:
snip...Where are the instructions?
Thanks,

From the top of VAF a couple days ago...
New feature #2: How to insert an 'avatar' of yourself:
An avatar is a little picture that appears next to all of your posts (preferably of you or your RV). It personalizes the experience more and fosters the 'family feel' better than without it. To set one up, first you'll have to create an 80 x 80 pixel graphic less than 10KB on your own, then make sure you are
registered and logged in to the forums. Click on 'UserCP' up in the left corner, then 'Edit Avatar'. You'll figure out the rest pretty easy. The same rules that apply to text also apply to avatars, only more stringently. I did mine in Photoshop.

Some are using http://shrinkpictures.com/create-avatar/ to create one from a photo.

b,
dr

Last edited:
Back