What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Inside tire wear

V111Pilot

I understand it might be a common issue of the mains to wear on the inside much quicker than the outside. Yes, I could turn the tires around at the mid-cycle of wear, but never remember to. Is it possible to change the camber?

If they are wearing more on the inside it is not likely because of camber.
It is because the axles are not toed in enough. This causes the tire to track outboard. Pulling the leg outboard and wearing the inboard side of the tire.

This can be caused by slightly bent legs (as already mentioned) because as they bend outward and aft it induces a twist movement in the axle, in the toe out direction.

Last edited:
If a leg was bent quite a bit, you might be able to tell by sighting down the length of the leg from the upper end with it still installed.
To detect a slight bend you need to remove the leg and roll it on a flat table with the axle hanging off the edge.

Toe can be checked by jacking the airplane and positioning it level front to back. Remove all parts from the bottom of the gear legs. Place a long piece of steel or aluminum angle (confirmed straight) on the back side of the gear legs and measure the gap between the angle and the outboard end of the axle.
I think it should be about 1/16" but check the RV-4 plans to confirm.

Can one heat up the axle to re-bend it or will that affect the strength or stiffness (heat treat)?

Back