What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Tire wear

V111Pilot

any thoughts on uneven tire wear i.e. the right main wears quicker than the left. Of course both wear on the inside first.

How do you check the alignment?

Thanks.

Brent

Not sure about the 4, but it should be the same unless this can be shimmed unlike the round gear legs.
I extended plumb bobs off the leading edges and marked with a string going from one wing to the other.
Then, I took a string and centered it on the gear stem and extended it outbound.
You will immediately see the angle if it's toe out or in.
The lines should be parallel.
Btw, the gear needs to be hanging for this to be accurate. Therefore, you will need an engine lift to raise it from the engine mount.

This is how I corrected my tow out when I converted from an A model to a tail wheel. My used mount was matched drilled, not jig drilled so I had to make adjustments by oversizing the gear leg hole by rotating the gear to parallel.

Let me know if I can help or clarify.

Last edited:
I get wear faster on the right one than the left one. I also get a little bit of shimmy on the right wheel between 9 and 13 MPH and about 22-25 MPH.

For starters, I taxi outside of the shimmy parameters. As the wear progresses, I move the right wheel to the left and left to right. As the wear takes out the inside I flip the tire on the wheels and then again about halfway in the wear cycle I go back from left to right.

That doesn't eliminate the problem, but it extends the life of the tires.

In looking through the log books previous owners went through tires in about 100 hours / 1 year. I get about 3 times that dong the above.

Back