What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Tip: Zip Tie trimming

AlexPeterson

Well Known Member
On another thread it was mentioned to use a razor blade to trim the tie wraps flush, in order to minimize cuts from jagged edges remaining. Seems like the potential trade off for blood might not be worth it...

I have found that a good way to trim zip ties (cable ties, tie wraps, etc.) is to use a flush cut electronic lead trimmer. They are about 5 or 6 bucks. I don't generally let the cutting portion of my tie wrap gun clip them, but instead use something like this:

flush%20trimmer.JPG

Doesn't leave any sharp edges, and angled cutters are also available at tool supply places.

I got the 5 set of tiny snips from Home Depot and they work great for cutting them. Allow you to cut from different angles.

'score' one side, nice and tight, with some sort of blade (exacto, razor, utility knife, etc) and then bend it (usually once) and it will break off at the score line, typically nice and flush...fast and easy. I used to build playgrounds at Burger King's and thats how we did it. It was good enough for the kids. :)

If you really want to spend some extra time, after you cut it you can apply a hot sodering iron to melt the sharp edge flush. This is more time consuming but gives you a nice smooth finish.

I bought a quality pair of zip tie pullers from an electrical supplier - not the $9 version from Harbor Freight.

They trim the end as flush as I can trim it with anything other than a razor blade. And to be honest, working with a razor blade under the panel sounds like a neat way to A) Hurt myself or B) Cut a wire or pitot/static line. Not worth it to me.

Besides, there are hundreds of zip ties in a typical RV. The zip tie puller easily saves 10 seconds on every tie. The time adds up.

Last edited:
I bought a quality pair of zip tie pullers from an electrical supplier - not the $9 version from Harbor Freight.

They trim the end as flush as I can trim it with anything other than a razor blade. And to be honest, working with a razor blade under the panel sounds like a neat way to A) Hurt myself or B) Cut a wire or pitot/static line. Not worth it to me.

Besides, there are hundreds of zip ties in a typical RV. The zip tie puller easily saves 10 seconds on every tie. The time adds up.

I agree! Here's what you want: http://datasheet.octopart.com/GS2B-Panduit-datasheet-38176.pdf
They're expensive, but SOOO worth it! There is absolutely no burr, and the tension is perfect every time.

Heinrich Gerhardt

Sorry

On another thread it was mentioned to use a razor blade to trim the tie wraps flush, in order to minimize cuts from jagged edges remaining. Seems like the potential trade off for blood might not be worth it...

I have found that a good way to trim zip ties (cable ties, tie wraps, etc.) is to use a flush cut electronic lead trimmer. They are about 5 or 6 bucks. I don't generally let the cutting portion of my tie wrap gun clip them, but instead use something like this:

flush%20trimmer.JPG

Doesn't leave any sharp edges, and angled cutters are also available at tool supply places.

I can't get away from the flat waxed lacing cord. Tied individually it looks so nice and gives a sense of order. Just like ribstitching Cub Wings.:D

AAM-B662_lg.jpg

My choice - for safety! All plastic childrens scissors. They work great!

And best of all, none of those nasty cuts that can sometimes happen when using dangerous razor blades and metal cutters!!

In the old days...

we just bit the tails off those buggers. I believe it's still the accepted practice in most of the smaller towns here abouts in Texas. After redin bout all this new stuff for cuttin tails off ti-raps, I'm not so sure it's any betr or safur that just biten down on em. YMMV

flush%20trimmer.JPG

Home Depot has a pair of flush-cutting snips in a 2-piece kit with another pair of sorta-needle-nose pliers, for around $14. I've used mine a lot at my .civ job, cutting hundreds of zip ties while doing wire runs, etc.

Zip Tie Trimming

OR, you can dig out an old pair of dikes and grind the bottom flat on your belt sander. Works great and costs, less. Its an RV thing.

Regards,
EMPTY

I can't get away from the flat waxed lacing cord. Tied individually it looks so nice and gives a sense of order. Just like ribstitching Cub Wings.:D

It would be helpful if you could post a video of you doing this on a completed plane, up under the panel of a side by side slider.:p

Ties

Hi all, as a former electrician in another life the easiest way to remove the tail is to use a pair of pliers and twist the end off. It leaves no sharp ends and does not require any money outlay for a new tool. Just pull tight with the pliers and twist off the excess, no muss no fuss and no sharp edges.:)

Back